Too many choices for outdoor lighting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I have my wood storage behind my pole building where there currently isn't any outdoor lighting. I am going to add a light on the back side of the building about 14' off the ground so I can split wood after work. The light will only be used when I'm working but I would like something reasonably efficient, instant on, white light and obviously work in the cold. A trip to HD and there are a number of choices but it's difficult to compare the output. Possibilities are Fluorescent, Quartz, Metal Halide, or LED. Any suggestions?

Cut your wood only when there's a full moon, and save your hard earned dollars!!

-Soupy1957

If the light is for relatively short-term use, I would go with a halogen. Very inexpensive, bright, not too energy efficient but limited use, very good in cold weather, and inexpensive wins the day on this one. Except for the limited times when outdoor lights really need to be "on," we never turn on the outdoor lights, or indoor lights for that matter to light spaces when no one is there.

I too like halogens. I put a 300 watt 2 light system on the front and back of my garage. You could split wood by it.

When forced to work at night before these I always just pulled out the coleman lantern and fired it off.

pen

For just occasional use I also agree with halogen. 2x300W is a good amount of light.

Also, a headlamp can be quite useful. I just got a headlamp a couple months ago and find it to be very useful when you still need both hands to do work. And if you get a good one, say 200 lumens or more, you can pretty much do anything in the middle of the night without needing any other illumination. Mine detaches from the headband and is just as useful as a handheld flashlight. Its also small enough (just 1 AA) that it is my every day carry in my pocket. I never leave home without it anymore ;)

OhioBurner© said:
For just occasional use I also agree with halogen. 2x300W is a good amount of light.

Also, a headlamp can be quite useful. I just got a headlamp a couple months ago and find it to be very useful when you still need both hands to do work. And if you get a good one, say 200 lumens or more, you can pretty much do anything in the middle of the night without needing any other illumination. Mine detaches from the headband and is just as useful as a handheld flashlight. Its also small enough (just 1 AA) that it is my every day carry in my pocket. I never leave home without it anymore ;)

I've mowed fairways on a golf course and raked bunkers with just my headlamp. They are very handy indeed.

I have the cheap way under my front porch where the wood is stored. I use 2 set of clear incandescent holiday light sets plugged into an extension cord. They are not the C-7 size, but the ones just under that. Plenty of light from them. The C-7's would be brighter though.

If you're going to be doing serious work outside, I'd strongly recommend you look into a high pressure sodium lamp. I have one outside my house where I do a lot of work at night, and it is much nicer to work under than a halogen. Halogen lights are stark and will bother your eyes, especially if you ever have to look anywhere near them. The HPS is almost like daylight, much easier on the eyes. The main disadvantage is that you need to wait a minute or so for them to brighten fully, but a small price to pay, IMO.

soupy1957 said:
Cut your wood only when there's a full moon, and save your hard earned dollars!!

-Soupy1957

Hey that is the same advise I got about hunting deer, shoot them on the full of the moon. That way the wardens don't see your lights.

dave11 said:
If you're going to be doing serious work outside, I'd strongly recommend you look into a high pressure sodium lamp. I have one outside my house where I do a lot of work at night, and it is much nicer to work under than a halogen. Halogen lights are stark and will bother your eyes, especially if you ever have to look anywhere near them. The HPS is almost like daylight, much easier on the eyes. The main disadvantage is that you need to wait a minute or so for them to brighten fully, but a small price to pay, IMO.

I have HPS lighting on 3 sides of my house including where I stack wood. I agree it's very effective and easy on the eyes. The OP's requirements however state he needs Instant On capability. For that I have a regular 2 bulb flood light setup that lights up the back yard instantly for letting the dogs out, strange noises, etc. Maybe a combination of the efficient HPS units for planned work outside with a halogen for intermittent/security use would be ideal.

bsa, with my experiences in the electrical industry the type of lighting that would suit your needs the best would be a 70 or 100 watt metal halide flood. It will give you the white colored light you want. You will not have an instant on feature like a halogen or incandecent, however the light will be fuller and cast less shadows than the halogens, as well as less power consumption. The 14' mounting height is good, it will give a nice spread.

http://www.ruudlightingdirect.com/floodlighting

Try this manufacturer if you have a credit card they will sell and ship direct to you they have a good warranty and excellent customer service as well as good pricing. They can also provide a comparison point by point lumen output specs if you want to them to give you that info.

I found an old halogen 500 watt light I had so I installed that since it didn't cost anything. I will eventally put something more energy efficent. There some good suggestions here. I'll have to look at comparisons for light output as I want at least the same amount of light that the halogen puts out. Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.