'Too pretty to burn'?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapCracklePop

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2010
Southwestern Penna
Oh, my.

It's summer, and I'm making Monday trips to band rehearsals through a section of country that I don't normally visit.

And there's this amazing spot where this guy has piled firewood among the trees next to the road. Lots of firewood. Beautiful stuff, all so neat and tidy.

Last night I saw him in action, and it looked like he was knocking the bark off splits with a hatchet.

But, alas, I couldn't stop to see what the deal was. Seems the highway department is paving the road, and it was restricted to one lane, with flagpersons and noplace to pull over...

I just have to know... is that all for you? Or is it for sale? And how much for a dictionary cord? And do you deliver?

I'll have to have a talk with myself before I meet the guy. I don't want to be slobbering and saying silly stuff like "Wow, that's some good-looking firewood ya got there."

I mean, just from a quick, drive-by assessment, it looks like all of the splits are EXACTLY 16 inches long...

Really, would you burn stuff that pretty?

Don't answer that.

By next Monday, the road should be repaved. I'll be on the lookout for Mr. Perfection.

Stay tuned...

And, no, I won't say exactly where this is...

Nancy

Nancy,
I'm going on a roadtrip to SW PA!!!!!!!!
just kidding, good luck

Nancy,

I get the feeling you drooled on the side window of your car as you drove past - and possibly on your keyboard when you typed your memories of that passing moment. :) Keep us posted!

Okay, I'll bite. WTH is a "dictionary cord"? (Knowing full well what a plain-old, or legal "cord" is.)

Is there a region that this is endemic to?

Story goes--can't remember whose this was--that someone was buying wood from a cutter, and he tried to sell face cords for the price. When challenged on that, he said, "I don't sell no dictionary cords."

The term `face cord' seems to be a back-Easternism.

PopCrackleSnap said:
Oh, my.
I'll have to have a talk with myself before I meet the guy. I don't want to be slobbering and saying silly stuff like "Wow, that's some good-looking firewood ya got there."

Nancy

Hey Nancy,

I followed a loaded logging truck down the road one day, and pulled over where they did. Gentleman got out, walked back to my car, and I said, "I was just driving down the road admiring your wood." pause "Wait, let me rephrase that . . . " He just laughed.

So yes, I recommend taking the time to think that one through a bit.

are you sure those weren't Zapstacks, Or Zap himself helping out a fellow wood burner?

jimosufan said:
are you sure those weren't Zapstacks, Or Zap himself helping out a fellow wood burner?

I dont think "Zapny" is his former self....... I think he is GIBIR.... I am gonna go back and look. But I just found a Post where his name is now GIBIR..

EDIT.... Here it is... https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/75759/P18/ Look here... Very last post or #29 if it aint the last. The picture is what made me catch the name change.

snowleopard said:
Story goes--can't remember whose this was--that someone was buying wood from a cutter, and he tried to sell face cords for the price. When challenged on that, he said, "I don't sell no dictionary cords."

Not this Back-Easterner . . . since I've been just a wee child a cord was always 128 cubic feet . . . or more traditionally expressed by a pile of wood 4 x 4 x 8 feet (probably expressed this way since we used to cut pulp wood in 4-foot increments.)

jimosufan said:

jimosufan, I had some computer problems so after it was taken care of I changed a few things. I'm starting back stacking,cutting and delivering some wood this week & weekend.

zap

snowleopard said:

I think the dictionary cord came from a CL ad.

I don't here face cord around here much. Since I first heard it I thought it was a mid-western thing.

CTYank said:
Okay, I'll bite. WTH is a "dictionary cord"? (Knowing full well what a plain-old, or legal "cord" is.)

Is there a region that this is endemic to?

A dictionary cord is a stack of dictionaries 4'x4'x8' with minimal air gaps between. Simple eh?

Isn't a face cord a 4 x 8 row at length of the log only?

PopCrackleSnap said:
Oh, my.

It's summer, and I'm making Monday trips to band rehearsals through a section of country that I don't normally visit.

And there's this amazing spot where this guy has piled firewood among the trees next to the road. Lots of firewood. Beautiful stuff, all so neat and tidy.

Last night I saw him in action, and it looked like he was knocking the bark off splits with a hatchet.

But, alas, I couldn't stop to see what the deal was. Seems the highway department is paving the road, and it was restricted to one lane, with flagpersons and noplace to pull over...

I just have to know... is that all for you? Or is it for sale? And how much for a dictionary cord? And do you deliver?

I mean, just from a quick, drive-by assessment, it looks like all of the splits are EXACTLY 16 inches long...

Really, would you burn stuff that pretty?

Don't answer that.

By next Monday, the road should be repaved. I'll be on the lookout for Mr. Perfection.

Stay tuned...

And, no, I won't say exactly where this is...

Nancy

All my wood is too pretty to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.