Top vent or rear vent??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
Is there any long-term advantage or disadvantage to one or the other?

I talked to an engineer at a manufacturer who doesn't make rear vents. He said it's a difficult engineering problem and they don't do it. Don't know for sure what he meant, and that was AFTER I asked him why and he "answered"! I got the impression he didn't think they were safe.

Can anybody shed some light on this? I see top and rear vents on lots of what look like good quality stoves. Can't believe they wouldn't be safe. Just trying to make sense of all this.

Gracias!

--no stove
--no maul
--no splitter
--no saw
. . . yet!

But lots of DRY wood!

It's certainly not an issue of safety though it does affect rear clearances. Rear vent is common on cast iron and soapstones. I am guessing this is because they are much more frequently used in fireplaces, especially in Europe. Steel stoves tend to be purpose-built stand alone stoves and show up less frequently in fireplace hearths. Well at least before BB put his big NC30 in there. I think it's got to be easier to design a stove that works with only one venting configuration. So cost may be a driving factor.

From what I gather the top vent models have a stronger draft, that may be explain the "difficult engineering problem" statement. jmho

Status
Not open for further replies.