Top vent question for the XXV, installed with simpson double wall connector pipe.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
Has any one here used the top vent option with simpson duravent? do you need the stove adapter for the duravent or will the telescope fit right on? Im no longer a simpson dealer, and i would love to have what i need once i get home. I live in the sticks!

that Top Vent setup comes with a piece of 4" duravent that fits right on the flange, you have to silicone the bee-jeezes out of it but you shouldn't need the stove adapter.

unless of course you are refering to the "wood stove" pipe you intend to connect to the top vent kit, then...i dunno if you need an adapter for that. I have not used Simpson pipe for that application.

I actually just got the part in from fed ex, and it told me not to seal the L pipe to the top vent kit, are you talking about sealing the duravent to the vent kit?

Delta-T said:
unless of course you are refering to the "wood stove" pipe you intend to connect to the top vent kit, then...i dunno if you need an adapter for that. I have not used Simpson pipe for that application.

yes, that is what i am referring to.

the top vent option was actually never meant to be used with L vent.....the 1' section of L vent included in the kit basically just sits in the pipe and acts as an insulator somewhat.....the topvent option was devised to be used with regular 6" stove pipe. Please note though, that all joints should be sealed......also, for you folks considering usint L vent, youd better find a better way to attatch the L vent to the stove other than siliconing the poop out of it...not considered a positive connection!

No, i think i am not being clear about what i am asking.

Ok, so the top vent adaptor brings the stove to 6" pipe. The 12" of l vent just hangs out in there and does not need to be sealed, its just there for clearance purposes. This is all in the instructions.

The question i have is, will my Simpson duravent DVL pipe fit to the adapter? or do i need to use the #8680 pipe adapter from simpson to connect to the harman top vent adapter.

I plan on sealing the joint between the connector pipe and the top vent kit, i plan on sealing the joint in the telescope, and i plan on sealing the joint between the crappy 8679 close clearance adapter that adapts the connector pipe to the support box.

Im about to go home and install it. I will soon find out for my self. I guess i will go to the other dealer in town and get the adapter just in case.

Photos coming about 9:00 MST. :) (if i am not to pooped)

I am NOT looking forward to moving the mainsfield. Even with the escelara its going to be a pain in the booty.

So the stove is installed. To late for photos tonite. Everything went super smooth, the worst part was that the escelara did not like getting the mansfield up on the back of the flat bed truck. The simpson duravent mated directly to the top vent kit with out the use of an adapter. Now i know.

there ya go, MSG!

BTW, anyone else ver notice the striking resemblance of the "most interesting man in the world" with Charlton Heston?

Status
Not open for further replies.