Tornadoes - Hope Everone Is Well

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Though not hearth related, I just wanted to send out my prayers and well wishes to all of our friends from the Mid West. They got hit with really bad twisters today. you are all in our prayers.

Franklin

Seeing the damage always scares the tar out of me! I could not image the hell it must feel like living though one.

Hope everyone stays safe. And our prays are with you.

Hope everyone is doing alright.
Tomorrow looks to be another setup like last April, slighty more northward. More long track Tornadoes.
As much as I've enjoyed these 70 degree days in Feb(It's 76 on the 1st of March!) they aren't without the consquences of severe storms.

We had 2 tornadoes touch down @ 10am-ish in Northern Alabama and Southern Tennessee. Not much damage or injury, thankfully. Another round is coming now. So, in Apr '11. May '11 and now March '12, a tornado has touched down 2-4 miles from my house. I think we're competing with OK or KS for TwisterLand. LOL.

That's way too close for comfort. I hope they have a good warning system in place locally. Pay attention and have a good plan.

Very scary night around here also.

I have been lucky so far but they are tornado's on the ground to the south of me

Talked to Bro-in law just N of Huntsville Ala. One just missed them by less than a mile. He said they have been "lucky" "So Far" .

+1
Hope everyone is safe, listening to the warnings & have a plan !!

Just saw Death toll is up to 20 & it's not over.

BeGreen said:
That's way too close for comfort. I hope they have a good warning system in place locally. Pay attention and have a good plan.
Yeah, BG. All local TV preempts all programming for weathermen showing real time RADAR, tornado tracks/times and spotters in vehicles with cameras all around. It's big business around here.

bogydave said:
Talked to Bro-in law just N of Huntsville Ala. One just missed them by less than a mile. He said they have been "lucky" "So Far" .

+1

Wow, bogydave. That's the same tornado missing my house. Your BIL and I are neighbors.

Warnings all around here tonight, including the county west of mine. This mess is really affecting my draft.

A real mess...scary stuff...life threatening (life taking). Lots of devastation these last couple of days. So sad. Towns are gone. Just gone. My heart goes out to the ones who've lost loved ones and/or property/irreplaceable belongings. To everyone else in the potential path of these killer storms, please do the best you can to stay on your toes & have a plan to get to safety on a moment's notice. This kind of news always makes me sad. Rick

We lost two houses in Texas to tornadoes and have had two spin down on the property here. Our hearts go out to the folks hit by these things. You can't even imagine how fast they hit and the power of the things. One minute it is still and blue/green and the next minute your home disappears.

dougand3 said:
bogydave said:

+1

Wow, bogydave. That's the same tornado missing my house. Your BIL and I are neighbors.

They are near a town called Harvest.
Glad you & they were missed.
Looks like the tornado warnings over for now, radar show lot of heavy rain & wind south & east of you.
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=htx&loop=yes

BeGreen said:

They do have a good alert system in place- sirens for people outdoors, first alert radios that every weather station does outing days and programs for people right in the parking lots of CVS.

The problem is the high number of false alarms - the boy who cried wolf syndrome.

There is some state of the art radar technology already in place, and they got to try out and verify the most recent dual-pole dopler technology that was installed last month.

The dual-pole which scans both horizontal and vertical waves, has actually been around since ~2004, but the big advantage it has is not just distinguishing rain or hail, it can actually distinguish debris in the hook echo.

Another tool in the metereoligists drawer on top of BTI indicators, and real-time street level maps that can warn people to get in thier safe place.

Of course non of this stuff helped many back last April becuase a line of strong Thunderstorms with straightline winds that knocked out power and some of the alert towers and cell towers alike early that morning, prevented it from ever reaching the people in the storms' path later that afternoon-evening.

The cold front has past by me and the weather is peaceful this morning.Last night was a close call for me im still nervous i live in the mountains of far southwest VA but last night was a close call.

Status
Not open for further replies.