Tough day cutting!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I had a dead ash tree that was near one of my power lines dropped a while back. Now that the snow is gone I was able to get at it in order to bucked it up. Well they dropped it into a nasty tangled mess of vines and undergrowth. It was also dropped in two pieces so the trunk was on top of the top. It took well over an hour just to get it cleared up enough to cut somewhat safely even then I still had to watch for trip hazards.

The worst part is at some point in the past someone nailed up a tree stand into the tree. I knew this going in and avoided the external nails but found some hiding on the inside! Needless to say this is turning out to be some expensive firewood! Paid to have it dropped and wasted two chains on top of it! All said and done I'm probably paying 150 bucks for 3/4 cord + or - of firewood, not cool!!

My lower back is also banged up I probably shouldn't have even cut but can't stand sitting around doing nothing! It doesn't feel any worse than before I started so I figure I didn't do anymore damage. :lol:

There all tough and get tougher every day! I think thats a song or should be if its not...

smokinjay said:
There all tough and get tougher every day! I think thats a song or should be if its not...

Just wait til you hit 45,all the abuse you gave your body when younger gets revenge.... :vampire: 2 Naproxen daily (generic Aleve/Motrin/Ibuprofen) is your friend :)

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Just wait til you hit 45,all the abuse you gave your body when younger gets revenge.... :vampire: 2 Naproxen daily (generic Aleve/Motrin/Ibuprofen) is your friend :)

Not when you're allergic to most OTC painkillers...

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

I have a ways to go before I hit 45, but I feel like 45 now. Not good, the abuse I gave my body in my younger days is already getting revenge.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

45... HA HA. I only WISH my body still felt like I was 45. C/S/S and burn for another 20 years then come back and you can whine a little about your backs.. :-S

Anybody else out there wish their backs felt like they were 45?

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

That gets in the way of the whiskey! So will stay away from that and rusty trees.

I hate to think how I will be when I hit 45. I'm only 28 and I spent the weekend laying on the couch and floor and crawling to teh bathroom. Slept funny I guess on Friday night and it was enough to screw up my back to the point that I can't even stand up.

Wish my back felt like it was 45.......

Wouldn't mind the rest of my body matching too..............

Jack Wagon, A recommendation: Please check with your doctor about taking 2 Naproxen daily. That much Naproxen, while very effective at reducing pain, could cause serious kidney damage in some individuals if taken too frequently. Just a friendly note of caution.

I am just about there. Spent most of my life from late teens on, fighting back issues. Since I started processing firewood about 3 years ago, the back has never been better, or more able. I did split with an axe for the first 2 years too. Gave that up do to volume vs. time, plus the uglies were building up. Bucked and moved 22 Walunt rounds that sized around 24 inches diameter- 20 long, up a hill to the pickup area. Elevation change about 8 feet over 30 foot run. Got'm all out, but have the bruising all over the arms to prove the battle existed. Next step was up into the trailer.

WoodpileOCD said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

45... HA HA. I only WISH my body still felt like I was 45. C/S/S and burn for another 20 years then come back and you can whine a little about your backs.. :-S

I'm 47 but my back feels about 20 yrs older thanks to working construction for 28 yrs (2 slipped discs,other damage in 2000),fell 20 ft when scaffold collapsed 2006 plus car accident in 2004 & c/s/s all my wood since I was 17.

Some days are good,others its a struggle to get out of bed.Can generally tell how I feel when waking up how rest of day will be.Buts thats normal

WoodpileOCD said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

All you 45yo "KIDDIES" stop your whining. I'm 62 with 3 blown discs and a left knee that needs t/b replaced ,workin 6 days a week. And I stay away from the medicine cabinet. Pull up your "BIG GIRL" panties and get to work.................LOL

mywaynow said:
I am just about there. Spent most of my life from late teens on, fighting back issues. Since I started processing firewood about 3 years ago, the back has never been better, or more able. I did split with an axe for the first 2 years too. Gave that up do to volume vs. time, plus the uglies were building up. Bucked and moved 22 Walunt rounds that sized around 24 inches diameter- 20 long, up a hill to the pickup area. Elevation change about 8 feet over 30 foot run. Got'm all out, but have the bruising all over the arms to prove the battle existed. Next step was up into the trailer.
That was some kind of wood moving!!! I checked a couple of log calculators and got weights of from 243# to 298# for those rounds you scrounged. I'm not sure how accurate those calculators are, though. Did you roll them up the hill??? How'd you load them on the trailer??...ramp??? That's some heavy pieces of wood there! I think I saw a picture of some the rounds loaded on a trailer in another thread...big rounds.

Ed

Thistle said:
WoodpileOCD said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

I'm 47 but my back feels about 20 yrs older thanks to working construction for 28 yrs (2 slipped discs,other damage in 2000),fell 20 ft when scaffold collapsed 2006 plus car accident in 2004 & c/s/s all my wood since I was 17.

Some days are good,others its a struggle to get out of bed.Can generally tell how I feel when waking up how rest of day will be.Buts thats normal
Thistle, I've got you by 6 years but not up there with WoodpileOCD. I had back surgery around 1990, elbow surgery 2005, both elbows stiff as a sun dried pair of wet work gloves, recent adventure is a pinched nerve in my neck making my shoulder feel like it has six penny nails driven in from the back and the side. I wonder how many times in the last ten years the doctor has asked me if I wanted to have an MRI....I just decline, take some OTC medicine of some kind and trudge on. When a doctor/surgeon tells you he's going to fix you "good as new"....understand that he is delusional.

My mother passed away a couple of years ago after an extended illness, one thing that we definitely learned throughout her sickness is just what you said...what we do now tells on us in 20-25 years. You kids who are toting that big wood "because you can"...beware. I had to get on to my SIL the other day...we were moving my mother-in-law (again)...he started up the steps by his self with the dryer, ok a dryer is relatively light compared to a washing machine. When he started up the steps with the washer held in front of him I about fell out...only about 6 steps but.... :shut:

I've pretty well figured out my max size round is a 16" diameter by 17" long piece of water oak. I'm going to roll it if I can, I'm going to lift it onto my knee(I gotta remember to bring a ramp!) and then into the back of the pickup truck. ...and I think that is really is too much at that. Soon as I get my Cherokee squared away I'll be pulling a small 8x10 trailer that sits much lower to the ground...basically tilt the rounds onto the trailer.

Shoot, WoodpileOCD...I wish my back felt like I was 35!!!!! ;) But hey, I'm still able to walk, cut wood, load wood, and play with the grandbabies!!!,...I'm blessed. :)

Ed

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

lol I am 45!

Not as old as some, not as young as others. 45 is a fleeting memory. Bad knees from years gone by, and bad joints all around.
Naproxin, Naprosin, were not my friends when I tried them.
Good on 'ya rdust, for getting that Walnut done.

I just work on the smaller pieces.. and still have to roll them.

mecreature said:
I just work on the smaller pieces.. and still have to roll them.

Kinda like those little rounds we where carrying yesterday? lol

A tough day cutting is always better than a good day at the office! you guys with me? Unless your office is the woods.

rdust, I do hope you don't cut too many more of those type of trees! For sure, when you get something you know or suspect has nails or wire, it is best to cut out about 2-3' (both top and bottom) past where you suspect the hardware and throw that stuff away! Better to throw away some wood than buy new chains.

Personally I do not wish I was 45 because it was earlier than that when I was injured. That was a long time ago.....

Some days I go into the woods and I have a good day with everything going my way and I leave the woods feeling as though I did well . . . other days I end up pinching my saw, the trees fall the wrong way, I fall over the undergrowth and land on my backside . . . and I leave feeling as though I have accomplished very little.

Someday you're the chainsaw . . . and someday you're the tree.

maxed_out said:
A tough day cutting is always better than a good day at the office! you guys with me? Unless your office is the woods.

maxed_out, I agree with you on that. Office in the woods, great idea!

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.