Toxic workplace, anyone ever worked in one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only once- a crap job when I first got out of college, before I got a job in my field, and it was top to bottom bad so there was little I could do. I quit.

Best of luck- not a great economy to have this issue my man

My advice to anyone who is in a job they can't stand is to get out of there ASAP. Life is too short to spend 8 hours a day doing something you hate.

there are a couple 'know-it-alls' at my plant, but I'm a big boy and don't put up with their garbage ;-) plus i really like my job :cheese:

loon

DSC_0320-1.jpg

loon said:
there are a couple 'know-it-alls' at my plant, but I'm a big boy and don't put up with their garbage ;-) plus i really like my job :cheese:

loon

i can't tell what I'm looking at. did you knock off a t-shirt wearing Gypsy at work????

Ahahahaha!

I gets pretty toxic where I work after someone eats chili for supper.

Right out of high school in 1966. Exterminating houses using Diazinon. Mixed the stuff out of 55 gallon drums. Didn't know any better and was breathing the stuff and had it all over my hands all the time. A little later I got a safer job flying in a combat zone.

Danno77 said:
i can't tell what I'm looking at. did you knock off a t-shirt wearing Gypsy at work????

:lol: just some perks of the job people flush down the toilet Danno ;-)

loon

We have a lot of toxic chemicals where I work, I been there almost 40 years, they won't hurt ya if ya drink enough vodka

If the toxicity is coming from the top it may not change and you have a decision to make.

Shane said:
How did you handle it? Did you have to leave? Were you able to change it?

Nope. Not able to change it. Put a lot of effort into changing it. I have stated "it's going to change, or it's going to end" to no avail. So, handling it by preparing to exit stage left or right, which ever way the door opens.

Toxicity sucks.

well, there's mental toxicity and physical toxicity (some would say)
at my place of work.

The mental toxicity I speak of if the bullchit and mind games that go on when you put 14 women together in an office setting. Especially when there are some "busy bodies" that don't mind their own business. Some women can be very catty.
I usually just deal with the mental stuff or totally ignore it. However, sometimes I have been known to rip a certain someone a new a$$hole if I am in the mood...which happened this week.... :coolsmirk:

Some would say I work in a physical toxic environment since I work with radioactivity. I don't feel that way because I take the protective measures and do everything by the book. If I was afraid of it, I would have picked a different field.

Unfortunatly, there are no nuclear medicine jobs out there now. I have so many friends that are unemployed in the field. Some have let their certifications lapse. It is a shame. I am also an xray tech, but there are no jobs in that field either.

I will put up with what I can. It really is not as bad as other work places. Right now I am happy to have a job. I wanna go back to school though. But I would jump at the chance of a different nuclear job.

Good luck Shane,

Toxicity varies at my job. I am fortunate that most of the time I am alone here, but when I do have to interact with the rest of them, it can be hard to stomach. The money is good, benefits are great, and the family needs both of those things more than I need a non-toxic workplace. I look forward to the day I can move on, but it will not be any time soon.
I guess one has to decide what his/her priorities are. For me it is mostly an annoyance, for others I am sure it can be very bad, even sickening. If you can leave, don't hesitate. If you can't, make the best of your time away from work.
I think that it would be hard to change things at work. The only thing you really have the power to change is yourself and how you feel about where you are. It is very hard to change other people, or the culture you and them are part of.

Every job I ever had was a toxic workplace. Been self-employed most of my work life. I may be broke most of the time, but if the boss is giving me a hard time I tell him to take the day off and go fishing. Never fails.

Toxic workplace in terms of people and being harassed . . . or toxic workplace in terms of hazardous chemicals? There is a difference.

If you're talking people . . . never had a problem . . . then again I'm pretty easy going and able to be a chameleon -- blend in wherever I end up. My wife has had some issues . . . one place was very bad . . . in the end she left which was for the better . . . in the end she ended up with better pay, better hours and much better co-workers.

Incidentally . . . Gamma . . . you can have a toxic environment with guys too . . . some times they can be just as vicious . . . I see this with some of the guys here at the firehouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.