Tree felled, bucked and split- with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
This Oak lost its top in a storm sometime over the past few months. If it had not fallen right across the path I cut through my woods, I would never have seen it. I cut up the top one day, then went back and felled the trunk. The main trunk was straight up at least 35 feet before the first 'Y' occurred. I bucked this tree to about 9.5 inches for two reasons: 1) this will keep me in north/south splits for a long time and 2) I wanted to split it immediately and shorter bucks would be easier to hand split. Here are some pics of the process:

Not sure what kind of oak this is. Here is a close up of a fresh cut round and leaves.

5232703130_bff75a9ce8.jpg

Here you can see where I cut this tree from its "twin."

5232111607_947d17b5e5.jpg

Below is more of the trunk, bucked up, leading up to the top. That oval looking buck is where the first 'Y' occurred.

5232112305_ffd9a26631.jpg

Bucks temporarily stacked on a pallet in my wood working area in the woods.

5232112831_7cbd629db3.jpg

Below: Fresh split to help you help me I.D. this tree.

5232705310_2e76f24b8b.jpg

Below: Two piles of freshly split wood. I'll get it stacked up off the ground very soon. I may bring it out of the woods to stack it out in the open. Do you think these small splits would season in one full year of wind and hot Texas Sun?

5232113785_29f4fbdbf1.jpg

Below: a shot of a part of my wood lot. The stack on the left, mid photo, is water oak from a huge, down and dead log my neighbor gave me last winter. It had blown it's bark but had no trace of punkiness. Split like a dream. Some of the best wood I've ever had. Currently reading 16-18% MC. I have about half a cord of this.

5232114487_1fde6a899e.jpg

That's it. I'd appreciate help with the ID. I know it's not Water Oak. The bark and leaf is much different. I'm leaning toward Live Oak.

Thanks. Hope you enjoyed the pics. They were taken with an iPhone 4.

Nice work and pictures, just a guess but it looks like Bur Oak.

zap

Zap, it sorta looks like a Bur oak (I just looked it up) but they aren't common around here and supposedly are more likely to be found out in the open as single trees. It says they don't like being part of a forest canopy, which is basically what I have. My woods are a real thicket and the canopy makes some of the young trees skinny and weak as they try to fight their way up for some sun.

But, this tree also looks like a Post Oak, which are very common around here. In fact, our Eco-zone is called "Post Oak Savannah." I need to go find some acorns to help nail it down.

Kenster said:
Zap, it sorta looks like a Bur oak (I just looked it up) but they aren't common around here and supposedly are more likely to be found out in the open as single trees. It says they don't like being part of a forest canopy, which is basically what I have. My woods are a real thicket and the canopy makes some of the young trees skinny and weak as they try to fight their way up for some sun.

But, this tree also looks like a Post Oak, which are very common around here. In fact, our Eco-zone is called "Post Oak Savannah." I need to go find some acorns to help nail it down.

Not one Oak on our property, I'm thinking of planting some next spring.

zap

Kenster said:

I just looked up the Post Oak and it does look like it.

zap

Looks good kenster. I'm bad with ids' so not much there. Split looks like red oak. I see your tire in the picture, you use that to split? Plus i think you've been hanging out with Zap, cutting them rounds short for NS loading :)

ohio woodburner said:
Looks good kenster. I'm bad with ids' so not much there. Split looks like red oak. I see your tire in the picture, you use that to split? Plus i think you've been hanging out with Zap, cutting them rounds short for NS loading :)

Ohio, It does look a bit reddish but I don't think we have any red oak around here. I started using the tire some for splitting recently. I kinda like it. Helps keep everything together.

I plan on doing an E/W bottom layer and a N/S upper. Looks like it might work in my stove.

Kenster, i like the tire method too. I know there's alot of species of oak around, but if it's not red,white or pin i'm screwed..lol :cheese:

Ken, although it does resemble red oak, the leaves tell us it is in the white oak family. Realizing there are over 50 types of oaks it is difficult to guess. I'd go by what is normal in your area. Looks like some good firewood for sure.

[/quote]Not one Oak on our property, I'm thinking of planting some next spring.
zap[/quote]

I can send you some acorns and you can make some starters just like you tomatoes. Never seen so many acorns as i have this year. We have an old one with at least a 3-3.5 ft diameter butt and real large canopy then some smaller sprouts only a foot across the stunp in my front yard. I can box up about 10 pounds and send them up if you want. :) That will give you some time to get a buckett of top soil and some small bucketts to start them in.

cass

Status
Not open for further replies.