Tree I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I have a idea what this is, any thoughts.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2701-1.jpg
    100_2701-1.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 372
Looks like hemlock. Cheers!

Are you talking about the big Red Oak on the right side of the picture?

Wood Duck said:

We wish we had one red oak or any kind of oak on our property but we don't, but yes the tree on the right.

Zap

The zig zagging on the bark is odd, nothing like that around here, but otherwise it might be poplar of some sort.
Hemlock would be fairly easy to identify by looking up at the green leaves.
Bark is a little coarse for oak.

billb3 said:
The zig zagging on the bark is odd, nothing like that around here, but otherwise it might be poplar of some sort.
Hemlock would be fairly easy to identify by looking up at the green leaves.
Bark is a little coarse for oak.

Nailed it billb3, I call it quaking aspen and the oldtimers up here call it poplar.

Zap

Us old timers call it popple.

Nice looking doe in the picture Zap.

I supposedly have two kinds of poplar here.
One that looks more like the smooth white barked pictures that look more like white birch, although they are more grey than white even when old. There's one in a corner of a field that's been there ever since I was a kid. Old and still has smooth light bark.
And then some other kind of poplar with very coarse bark that are mostly all dying and rotting as they stand. Bark is more like that.
The leaves on both "quake" in the wind.

They seem to rot pretty quick, even still standing , so I've never burned any.

zapny said:
Wood Duck said:

We wish we had one red oak or any kind of oak on our property but we don't, but yes the tree on the right.

Zap

So, are you sure that big tree isn't a hemlock? most of the other trees in that picture are hemlock.

if its not hemlock, my second guess would be northern red oak. Are you sure you don't have at least one Quercus rubra on your property?

FLINT said:
zapny said:
Wood Duck said:

Zap

So, are you sure that big tree isn't a hemlock? most of the other trees in that picture are hemlock.

if its not hemlock, my second guess would be northern red oak. Are you sure you don't have at least one Quercus rubra on your property?

Wood Duck and you brought up Red Oak so I finally looked at a picture of the bark and they do seem close so this weekend I'll get a better shot of the canopy plus look for some leaves.

Zap

Attachments

• querub09.jpg
    querub09.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 201
Zap - that photo sure looks like red oak, with the alternating dark and light vertical bands on the trunk - nice! Let it propagate! Cheers!

zapny said:
FLINT said:
zapny said:
Wood Duck said:

Zap

Wood Duck and you brought up Red Oak so I finally looked at a picture of the bark and they do seem close so this weekend I'll get a better shot of the canopy plus look for some leaves.

Zap

Is that picture you just posted of your tree? or something you got off the internet?

if its your tree, it sure as anything looks like northern red oak

Status
Not open for further replies.