Tree I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Over the winter I cut some dead trees in another area and some people thought it looked like Elm.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_3152.jpg
    100_3152.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 100_3153.jpg
    100_3153.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 263
  • 100_3154.jpg
    100_3154.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 100_3155.jpg
    100_3155.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 261
It looks to me like some of the leaves have uneven leaf bases. For example, in the picture where you're holding the leaf to show the bottom, the base of the leaf you're holding is uneven, and so are the bases a couple of other leaves on the twig. By uneven, I mean the two sides of the leaf aren't mirror images of eachother on opposite sides of the stem. The uneven bases, plus double toothed leaves and shaggy bark suggest elm. I think the fact that you cut some dead last year also suggests elm, since American Elms are dying from Dutch Elm and Elms Yellows diseases. My field guide says Hop Hornbeam should have even leaf bases.

It does look a lot like Eastern Hop Hornbeam to me, but the uneven leaf bases seem to indicate an elm, probably American Elm. I don't know that other elm species are being hit by diseases like American Elm is, and diseases explain why there were standing dead ones.

Wood Duck said:
It looks to me like some of the leaves have uneven leaf bases. For example, in the picture where you're holding the leaf to show the bottom, the base of the leaf you're holding is uneven, and so are the bases a couple of other leaves on the twig. By uneven, I mean the two sides of the leaf aren't mirror images of eachother on opposite sides of the stem. The uneven bases, plus double toothed leaves and shaggy bark suggest elm. I think the fact that you cut some dead last year also suggests elm, since American Elms are dying from Dutch Elm and Elms Yellows diseases. My field guide says Hop Hornbeam should have even leaf bases.

It does look a lot like Eastern Hop Hornbeam to me, but the uneven leaf bases seem to indicate an elm, probably American Elm. I don't know that other elm species are being hit by diseases like American Elm is, and diseases explain why there were standing dead ones.

Found this for comparison. I think your correct on the base being symmetrical.

Zap

Attachments

• 090522AmericanElmLeaves.jpg
    090522AmericanElmLeaves.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 233
Looks like elm to me.

American/Grey Elm

Status
Not open for further replies.