Tree ID #1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ampamp

Oct 31, 2010
Buffalo - Rochester
Tree 1.jpgTree 2.jpg I recently got a great score of firewood. It's one of those, 'happens once in a decade' type of situations. I knew a local landowner who was having his property logged...happen to be talking with the guy and when I asked if I could have some of the tops, he said feel free to take as much as I want. This particular woods is amazing. Of the 70 or so acres....not sure if there are any pines......it's virtually all hardwoods. I can identify most, but there is definitely a few I'm not sure off. I'll probably have to post a few emails, but any help would be great. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Tree 3.jpg
    Tree 3.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Tree 4.jpg
    Tree 4.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 145
View attachment 74064View attachment 74065 I recently got a great score of firewood. It's one of those, 'happens once in a decade' type of situations. I knew a local landowner who was having his property logged...happen to be talking with the guy and when I asked if I could have some of the tops, he said feel free to take as much as I want. This particular woods is amazing. Of the 70 or so acres....not sure if there are any pines......it's virtually all hardwoods. I can identify most, but there is definitely a few I'm not sure off. I'll probably have to post a few emails, but any help would be great. Thanks!!!
Pretty sure the pic called Tree 4 is cherry....as far as the other 3 pics....I need help.

pic of the trunk on the left sure looks like a chestnut oak, pic of the trunk on the right looks like a red oak. pic of the split on the left sure looks like a hickory, split on the right is cherry. I need a leaf or two to help me zero in.

From the Top
Left?
Right Poplar/Aspen
Bottom Left Hickory
Bottom Right Cherry

pic of the trunk on the left sure looks like a chestnut oak, pic of the trunk on the right looks like a red oak. pic of the split on the left sure looks like a hickory, split on the right is cherry. I need a leaf or two to help me zero in.
I'll see if I can get a leaf or 2. I think the kicker was....these trees were huge.....hopefully there's a leaf on the ground that works.

Reactions: ScotO
Top Left= Chestnut Oak

Bot Right= Cherry

Whoa, White Poplar? I've never seen it here, I don't think. It's in the Willow family, with Cottonwood, Aspen etc. That's gotta be poof wood, doesn't it?

If that is poplar I'd say it is Bigtooth Aspen, not White Poplar but in the same family. The wood is lightweight but I think it is OK. If I had the choice I'd take other hardwoods first. I agree with the Hickory (Pignut) and Cherry (but the wood doesn't look red enough). The first two are hard to tell from just the bark. Both look like they could be White Pine, but O.P. says there isn't any pine, so I am not sure.

If that is poplar I'd say it is Bigtooth Aspen, not White Poplar but in the same family.
I think woodbutcher was saying the top two pics, with the rough, blocky bark, were Poplar/Aspen. I guessed White Poplar based on book pics...

White poplar is another "regional" name for Bigtooth Aspen" which is what you have there.

Bottom right looks like cherrybark oak to me.....I just cut one up recently is probably why I think that.

Bottom right looks like cherrybark oak to me
Man, now I'm really getting confused. ;lol
BTW, welcome Nordic G. The IN hearth ranks increase once again. ==c
I just cut one up recently is probably why I think that.
;lol I do that all the time; I think it's called "projection."

Bottom right looks like cherrybark oak to me.....I just cut one up recently is probably why I think that.

Cherrybark Oak shouldn't be found in Rochester, NY. Cherry would be a lot more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.