tree id help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nycreecy

Sep 8, 2010
Westchester NY
Hi All,
I noticed a blow down in a yard around the corner from me that would make an easy scrounge. When I asked about the tree, they wanted to know how much I would charge to remove. I'm not a pro, but left my card for them to get back to me. It's 10 ft away from the street and up a slight hill. Can someone help out with an id so I know if it's worth it? Location is Westchester NY.
Thanks.
IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

Flamable.

Welcome to the forum nycreecy.

It is really hard to tell from the pictures what it is. However, it sounds like it would be easy to get. 10' and up a hill means you can roll the logs down. It does not look punky either.

Just tell us how it splits,seasons, then burns, LOL

I think it is Ailanthus/tree of heaven. not very good firewood, but it looks easy to get. Better than nothing.

How bad is it? I burn pine and poplar, the only wood I don't burn is willow.

Dune said:
How bad is it? I burn pine and poplar, the only wood I don't burn is willow.

That center looks hard to me......

Its f-ing nasty. Very brittle branches & twigs,flowers smell like something you wouldnt dump in back seat of an enemy's car. Wood is quite soft,though grain pattern & color resemble White Ash somewhat. I cut down 3 of the eyesores from my yard in Mar 2000.One was the biggest one I'd seen in the area, 26" DBH & almost 50' tall,the other 2 were quite a bit smaller from 12" dia x 30' & 18" diam x 30'.So glad to be rid of the things,didnt really want to burn that stuff,but didnt want to haul it to parents acreage or the landfill either.It produced more ash than any wood I've ever burned.Never again will I burn it,I'd drag home Cottonwood first.

Thistle said:
Its f-ing nasty. Very brittle branches & twigs,flowers smell like something you wouldnt dump in back seat of an enemy's car. Wood is quite soft,though grain pattern & color resemble White Ash somewhat. I cut down 3 of the eyesores from my yard in Mar 2000.One was the biggest one I'd seen in the area, 26" DBH & almost 50' tall,the other 2 were quite a bit smaller from 12" dia x 30' & 18" diam x 30'.So glad to be rid of the things,didnt really want to burn that stuff,but didnt want to haul it to parents acreage or the landfill either.It produced more ash than any wood I've ever burned.Never again will I burn it,I'd drag home Cottonwood first.

Common Now Tell us how you really feel? ;-)

Yes Thistle tell us don't hold back is this stuff the ( worst of the worst )

One good thing (and thats not much) is what I had was very easy to split.Get one growing in middle of open area with low spreading thick branches on trunk & that would be different obviously.

cptoneleg said:
Yes Thistle tell us don't hold back is this stuff the ( worst of the worst )

You got that right. But that's not the worst part. Ailanthus is an aggressive intrusive around much of the NE. Grows like the weed that it is, quickly takes over all sorts of road boundaries, etc. Reportedly it exudes some sort of toxin from its roots to reduce competition from indigenous plants. When you cut it down, it sprouts right back unless you dose it with RoundUp or such herbicide.

Some people really hate it round here. Did I mention that it stinks?

Just realized thats the crap I have been cutting down for ovwer 20 yrs , in a great flat spot ( don't have many in mountains) I just walked out and brought some leaves in to compare with picture. Thats the chit, I have just never seen it that big. I have been cutting and burning it outside last couple of months trying to kill it again. Been spraing roundup on it also. What is the stuff called

Didn't know when I called it( worst of the worst ) it was the crap out in back yard. I been splitting it allright so I can burn it out (ouside) to get rid of it.

And CTYank a friend told me it is a tree weed, like you said,

Just didnt recognize at first cause I cut mine down every other year or so 15 to 20 ft tall again. gonna kill it this time. Hate that Chit

By 2004-05 I finally got rid of those damn stump sprouts,kept chopping at the stumps several times in summer,peeled remaining bark off & they finally died. For a couple yrs after cutting the trees I'd see those tiny sprouts scattered in the grass,they'd always get mowed off,havent seen any sign of it in almost 6 yrs now.I remember seeing the damn sprouts growing out of cracks in concrete or asphalt,next to creeping charlie/ground ivy its the most persistent weed I know of.

Even multiflora rose that midwest farmers deal with is easier to remove.

Wood Duck said:
I think it is Ailanthus/tree of heaven. not very good firewood, but it looks easy to get. Better than nothing.

Ok, in Thistle's case Ailanthus/Tree of Hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.