Tree ID.......I have no clue!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannynelson77

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2010
PA
Scrounged some wood this weekend but have no clue what this particular species is?? It was very heavy, much heavier than the black walnut. Was very tight ringed. I'm stumped though. Its the smooth light gray barked tree. Very white wood throughtout. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2011-09-25 12.17.45.jpg
    2011-09-25 12.17.45.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 584
  • 2011-09-25 12.17.58.jpg
    2011-09-25 12.17.58.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 606
  • 2011-09-25 12.18.15.jpg
    2011-09-25 12.18.15.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 608
  • 2011-09-25 12.18.48.jpg
    2011-09-25 12.18.48.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 571
  • 2011-09-25 12.19.14.jpg
    2011-09-25 12.19.14.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 552
I would guess beech, but the leaves don't seem quite right for what I'm used to seeing.

The leaves remind me of black gum (Nyssa sylvatica) but the bark on black gum usually has more texture to it than these pictures show. Is it especially tough to split?

Havent tried splitting it yet. But yea even the bigger rounds were completely smooth.....unlike Black Gum.

I belive Magnolias are small trees correct? This tree had a diameter of about 24 inches.......

dannynelson77 said:
I belive Magnolias are small trees correct? This tree had a diameter of about 24 inches.......

They can get big, but the leaves are much larger than those pictured (unless the scale is really deceiving).

The log definitely looks like beech but the leaves don't quite match. I'm interested to know...

you would know magnolia by the "cone". we used to pretend they were hand gernades. Around here they get huge.

Looks like a landscape tree. Bradford maybe.

Just a guess, but I'm wondering if this is a young mockernut hickory, which I believe is in the Magnolia family. But the bark doesn't match, the big rounds should look more like the other wood in the background of this image. Note that some magnolias grow to be very large trees. Cucumbertree Magnolia (Magnolia acuminata) can grow 50-80' tall.

It was planted near a house thats all I could see other than it being in pieces. An old house too that is currently getting fixed up. Could be an old landscape tree of some sorts?

BeGreen said:
Just a guess, but I'm wondering if this is a young mockernut hickory, which I believe is in the Magnolia family. But the bark doesn't match, the big rounds should look more like the other wood in the background of this image. Note that some magnolias grow to be very large trees. Cucumbertree Magnolia (Magnolia acuminata) can grow 50-80' tall.
Hickories have compound leaves - so this is not a hickory. I think magnolias are in their own family, Magnoliaceae, rather than Juglandaceae, which includes the walnuts, hickories, etc. I agree that the rounds look great for beech, but no way on the leaves. Also agree that the leaves look like black gum, but not the rounds........hmmmmmmmm.......looks like we have a beech gum, or black beech, or Nyssa grandifolia, or Fagus sylvatica, or...........okay, that's enough.....Cheers!

Well, I'll throw something out there that I've seen here. I have one about 20' behind the house. Leaves resemble Shingle Oak. It's sometimes used as an ornamental tree. Not really sure about the bark, since you said big rounds are smooth bark. What about the main trunk? I can't tell from your end grain pic...can you see any medullary rays?
I'm probably wrong, but I'm used to it. :lol:

EDIT: OK, now I see points on the ends of the leaves, and they don't look shiny enough to be Shingle...
Pecan, hmmm...no, that has compound leaves. Is that a tiny acorn I see??

me thinks tupelo

Those are smooth edges on the leaves, not saw-toothed, right?

I think it's pawpaw

Nevermind I didn't realize how big you said the tree was, paw paw is usually small

Woody Stover said:
Those are smooth edges on the leaves, not saw-toothed, right?

Yes, SMOOTH. Man this one seems to have everyone stumped! Its ridiculously heavy! Tight rings. No medular rays. No matter what it is I am thinking its going to be a good burn unless its 90% water weight. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.