Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I'm thinking this is white ash, what do you think.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1686-1.jpg
    100_1686-1.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 259
Straight up like that, even with the bad bark shot I guess ash. Since it doesn't look like wetland I'd say white also. But I've never seen a black ash and I understand they do grow up north from where I am.

Matt

White ash.

We have plenty of black ash swamps in northern Wisconsin. Looks quite a bit different than white ash bark.

Get used to that sight Zap. It looks like we are going to be burning a lot of it in the near future.

White ash for sure, most areas here that were logged out 20 or so years ago are polluted with them. About that size too.

To me, it doesn't look quite right for Ash although it could be. To me the bark looks as much like Cucumber Magnolia as Ash. Could also be a couple of other similar trees. Are there White Ash in your woods? It is unlikely that this is the only tree of its type in the woods, so the other trees give a clue to what it is.

Wood Duck said:
To me the bark looks as much like Cucumber Magnolia as Ash.

That's a cool looking fruit but I've never seen one in the forest up here. Ash is 8% of all trees in NY.

Wood Duck said:
To me, it doesn't look quite right for Ash although it could be. To me the bark looks as much like Cucumber Magnolia as Ash. Could also be a couple of other similar trees. Are there White Ash in your woods? It is unlikely that this is the only tree of its type in the woods, so the other trees give a clue to what it is.

Yes, we have some ash in that area especially down the hill from this.

zap

SolarAndWood said:
Get used to that sight Zap. It looks like we are going to be burning a lot of it in the near future.

I'm not sure if I have burned ash before but have one face cord thats been stacked for two years (guess I'm a hoarder) I split it way to big.

zap

That's not hoarding, just good planning. Is there such a thing as too big? Any big diameter straight rounds out of upper end stuff I bring home gets split into as square as possible 8x8s. Everything else gets split smaller to be burned when it doesn't matter. On a positive note, larger diameter Ash seems to make nice 8x8s without a lot of effort.

I can't tell from the picture zap if it is ash or not but it surely did grow like an ash. Once you start burning it, you will like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.