Tree Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
All three pictures are the same tree.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3759.jpg
    100_3759.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 393
  • 100_3760.jpg
    100_3760.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 398
  • 100_3761.jpg
    100_3761.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 392
Zap, does it have nuts?

Thats kind of a personal question, isnt it Sav? :p

Well, male or female? :)

Zap, Opposite compound leaves means that is an ash. I can't tell which species. I wouldn't guess ash based on the bark, but unless I am wrong about those leaves being opposite, it is an ash.

Wood Duck said:
Zap, Opposite compound leaves means that is an ash. I can't tell which species. I wouldn't guess ash based on the bark, but unless I am wrong about those leaves being opposite, it is an ash.

The ash we have from what I've seen is white.

zap

The bark looks a lot like Hop hornbeam (Ironwood), but the leaves definitely aren't Hop Hornbeam. At first I wondered if the leaves are from the same tree as the bark.

Wood Duck said:
The bark looks a lot like Hop hornbeam (Ironwood), but the leaves definitely aren't Hop Hornbeam. At first I wondered if the leaves are from the same tree as the bark.

I thought cherry first but the bark looks different.

zap

Leaf looks compound which would eliminate cherry or hophornbeam. Shoot color looks green which would say Ash, but could be a English Walnut or perhaps butternut. Z

Wood Duck said:
I'm leaning towards Black Ash based on the bark from the photo as it appears to be scaly and flaky rather than furrows and ridges of white ash. Is it growing in a wet area ? That's where they grow in the wild.

Ironwood My vote! :cheese:

will711 said:
Wood Duck said:
I'm leaning towards Black Ash based on the bark from the photo as it appears to be scaly and flaky rather than furrows and ridges of white ash. Is it growing in a wet area ? That's where they grow in the wild.

We have a small swamp in that area, this spring and summer it's been full. (Low area that collects all the run off.)

zap

zapny said:
will711 said:
Wood Duck said:

We have a small swamp in that area, this spring and summer it's been full. (Low area that collects all the run off.)

zap
I think that seals the deal that's exactly where they like to grow.

No doubt in my mind Black Ash!

It looks like the leaflets are not stalked (they grow from the main stem of the leaf without a stalk), which is one more indication for Black Ash.

Field Guide sez the scaly plates of Black Ash bark "rub off easily" and "takes its name from the dark brown heartwood." Zap?

Status
Not open for further replies.