Tree indentificatiom...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
I am kinda lost on this one. The wood is yellowish brown to brown color, looks like a good solid wood. Its at my friends house, the guy told them that it was called a Paradise tree and suppose to burn hot. But looked that up and didn't see a connection. This is in NE KS. I think I'm going to take since it appears to be solid hard woood.

4439767f.jpg

a4bfa8e9.jpg

d97075c0.jpg

Ailanthus??

nrford said:
Ailanthus??

Sorry, but no chance there. OP said "good and solid wood."

Other than that, no clue here.

CTYank said:
nrford said:
Ailanthus??

Sorry, but no chance there. OP said "good and solid wood."

Other than that, no clue here.

What's OP? And what does good and solid have to do with anything?? Any type of tree can have the problems that tree had!

Ailanthus has much smoother bark & wood is lighter color,quite similar to White Ash in texture & grain pattern.I had 3 of the nasty eyesores dropped on my property in Mar. 2000.Glad to be rid of the damn things.Very weak & brittle branches,the flowers & leaves really stunk & the seeds were still sprouting everywhere 3 yrs later,kept mowing & chopping,finally got rid of them.That's 1 of the 2 species I'll never bring home when scrounging.

I have pieces of this type of tree in my stacks. I scrounged the wood from the curb so I don't know what type of tree. I think it is Catalpa or Princess tree (Paulownia), but not sure. Very light weight wood.

Do you know what method was used to split that log? The catalpa (live) I've split by hand always has been smooth in the split with a glossy sheen and not the hairy/fuzzy texture shown in the picture.

Here is two more picks, one of the tree and the other of the stump. That piece was on the ground, so assume it was just a break off when it fell.

6b964479.jpg

ece6318c.jpg

[quote author="Wood Duck" date="1302647584"]I have pieces of this type of tree in my stacks. I scrounged the wood from the curb so I don't know what type of tree. I think it is Catalpa or Princess tree (Paulownia), but not sure. Very light weight wood.[/quote

I dont know what you define as light wood. But to me this isnt light wood. Its fairly heavy for being as dead as it was.

had a similiar looking tree in the northeast and it was a willow>

Status
Not open for further replies.