Tree Service call that might pay off....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
Recently I bumped into a friend. In the course of the conversation it was discovered that he is now working full time with a tree service.

Long story short I called his boss today and found out that I am the only person he will have on his firewood list moving into this spring and summer. Surprisingly the tree service owner understood that there would be preferred wood varieties and that I would not really want other varieties.

I will keep you posted and do my best to learn to post photos over the coming weeks as we start scrounging with the assistance of the tree service. If half of what he tells me is true we will have plenty of wood to stockpile.

The part I am most amazed at is the idea that no one else is on his list right now. He has tried in the past to keep a list but he apparently got tired of having people not show up for the wood.

Never hurts to ask that's for sure. You see it pay off time and time again. It takes a little work sometimes but if burning wood was easy everyone would do it and that isn't something we want!

I would even take a little of the less desirable woods from them. You don't always need to burn natures best. No one likes a wood snob! :lol:

I agree that being a wood snob is a bad thing as any dry wood produces heat in some amount. Over they years I have burned anything I could get my hands on including willow and cottonwood. Mind you that was when we had a wood/electric furnace in an old farmhouse with no insulation in a climate that regularly has weeks on end of -30 or better. Some winters we went through over 12 cords of wood. Trust me when I say I have burned some real junk wood.

We currently have over 4 cords of Box Elder/Manitoba Maple that is mostly ready to go, we have several cottonwoods on our yard at the end of their lives and when they go they will get stacked up and will eventually season. When I spoke with the wood service I told him we would take it on a case by case basis.

You are very right that if heating with wood was easy everyone would do it. So much of what ails society would be mitigated if people would take a harder route on some of the tasks in their lives.

Doesn't surprise me too much that nobody reliable is on the list for wood. Not everybody is as willing to put forth effort to get wood as we are. Some people are too lazy, some are too busy, some aren't physically capable, and some just put their effort into other things. Plus, a tree service needs wood removed in a timely manner, not next weekend when the scrounger has free time. There are many reasons that a lot of firewood goes unscrounged.

So, do these tree services give you the wood for free? Is it mostly long logs or is it already cut to fireplace length?

There is a tree service near me that posts on craigs list when he does a job. I've taken advantage of this twice now. But I have to admit I'm not sure he informs the customers he is doing this and I'm not sure its proper to post someones address on the internet without their knowledge. He does remove the posts when its gone though.

Good score . Hope it works out & you're cutting & splitting soon.
Gotta get it stacked & seasoning

Status
Not open for further replies.