trial OAK and length of run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim H.

Feeling the Heat
Hey guys and gals, I have always wondered how an OAK would work out for me. With my XXV I definitely will get cool
air moving towards the stove and down the stairs that I can feel. The house is a bi level built in 1982, so not the tightest
house out there. I go thru what most of you average per pellet usage a day. I have heated the house non stop with the pellet stove since December and only use the electric heat to bring the upstairs a few degrees warmer in the morning for about an hour and the pellet stove will keep downstairs @ 75* and upstairs 68-70.....so it works very well. December was a very cold month and I only
went thru 35 bags, January's looking to be about the same.
I have my stove going into a chimney that originally had a propane stove hooked up. I have a propane line coming into the house
next to the brick and can put a hole there. My question is can I run a temporary line to my dryer exhaust to pull air in from there just to try it out. The dryer is in the room off from the Family room and would require about a 30-40' run.....will this work and will it
even be worth it? It has always been on the back of my mind how efficient or not the OAK would be....Thanks....

Jim H. said:
......My question is can I run a temporary line to my dryer exhaust to pull air in from there just to try it out. The dryer is in the room off from the Family room and would require about a 30-40' run.....will this work and will it
even be worth it?.....

IMO, any stove and house can benefit from using an OAK, but IMO, 30-40' is way too long.

The problem is, even if it didn't seem to work, how would you know if it was the OAK not being necessary in the first place, or the fact that the run is way too long (air friction losses)?

Outside air can provide nothing but a benefit.

For a temporary test, you must have a window near by? You could get fancy and mount the intake plumbing through a piece of plywood and put it in the window. Or you could just plumb it through the window and fill the gap with towels or insulation or whatever. 40' it probably too long of a run to get a valid answer.

AVIVIII said:
Outside air can provide nothing but a benefit.

Some stoves are not air-tight where the OAK connects to the stove, some are in fact wide open. Probably not a big issue if you run the stove 24/7?
Mike -

AVIVIII said:
For a temporary test, you must have a window near by? You could get fancy and mount the intake plumbing through a piece of plywood and put it in the window. Or you could just plumb it through the window and fill the gap with towels or insulation or whatever. 40' it probably too long of a run to get a valid answer.

Good suggestion, that's what I did basically, but used that hard compressed cardboard stuff.
Mike -

Like venting OAKs must be kept within length and diameter limits.

They can cause issues if a high wind blows across their outside opening, but unlike venting they love to be into the prevailing wind.

Great idea....I knew I loved you guys for a reason. I do have windows about 6 feet away or so on another wall....now for a cheap metal vent.....?

Jim H. said:
Great idea....I knew I loved you guys for a reason. I do have windows about 6 feet away or so on another wall....now for a cheap metal vent.....?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#metal-duct-hose/=apdzc8

Just got 5 feet of the 2" metal ducting light weight for $9.00 plus $6 shipping along with some other stuff. It's the high temp galvanized metal ducting half way down.

Go to your local hardware store and pick up some 3" (if they have it; 4" is more common) Vinyl dryer vent. Just squish it down and duct tape it on. Again, this is obviously not a permanent install by any stretch, but for the purposes of your test, it will be adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.