Tricky hearth build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I'm going to install the old Century (details in the sig.) in the family cabin. Clearances are good. I'll need to install the chimney before winter. I'm a bit stuck on the hearth pad. It has to either be durable or light enough to pick up and toss or dry out.

To explain why I'll post a pic of the cabin:

DSCF4595.jpg

Mine is the one showing the picnic table floating away. The water is about 15" deep inside when the pic was taken. The water never got that high in the previous 70 years, but it doesn't mean it won't happen again. I need to be able to easily clean it out in case this happens again.

Any ideas? I don't know that there is anything listed for R value on the back tag. Floor is a very combustible T&G yellow pine.

Matt

Boy that is a bummer. What about having a 12-16" high metal hearth platform welded up for the stove to sit on?

IIRC, the manual was just a folded sheet of paper that was taped to the front door. I once had a link to one somebody scanned onto the innernet.

I never thought of a welded platform. If I did that, I'd be able to take off a panel or so and dry out under the thing. That is a very interesting idea. What kind of R value would metal have since it cunducts heat? I don't think it would have to be that high up due to the pedestal height.

Matt

Air space is often not qualified in installation manual in spite of air being a good insulator. But I feel this would work. The stove requires R=.446 minimum for the hearth. An inch of ventilated space is like R=.7. I mentioned 12-16" to get it above the max in 70 yrs flood level. At 12"off the floor on a non-combustible platform, I have no doubt about safety.

http://legacy.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/FW240007-8.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.