Tried a new compressed wood product

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I dropped into the place I get these overnight logs, a very good compressed log and they have a newer product, the new logs are 4" x 13", about 30% bigger than the older logs. The old ones were priced at $6 for 4 logs, the new ones are $6.25 for a 4 pack, only a quarter more for about 30% more log. I picked up 4 packs to try them out. I put on in my afternoon load and it raised the temp quite a bit over a just wood only load, I just raked the coals for another reload and the original log is about 75% gone, not too bad for 10 hours. Im going to try a couple on a real cold night and see how well it keeps the temp up on an overnight burn.

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

Rounds make sense. A round has about 10% less surface area than a square of the same weight. I can imagine these things would burn for a long time in a very controlled fashion.

If they keep on improving these things I think they represent a very green solution to heating needs. There are billions of tons of wood rotting in forests all over the country. Maybe we should be mining these things out instead of exploring for more fossil fuel in Alaska.

Just thinking... I wonder if we could get Solar to load up a million BTUs of these things into his BKK and report back to us with results... in the spring. ;-)

Besides the ant-food decomposing in forests all-over (helps make soil),
I'd look to the used dimension lumber in dumps all over the place, waiting
for landfill space. Separate the metallic and drywall bits, and you'd have cubic
miles of usable fuel in these compressed logs.

We treat resources as nuisances.

Where did you find these? Are they branded?

cygnus said:
Where did you find these? Are they branded?

I get them at a nearby nursery that also sells wood and pellet stoves. They never told me what brand the overnight logs are, Ive asked a couple times to different people there and they always say they dont know. Im not sure if they're telling the truth or dont want anyone to go directly to the source and save a little money and cut them out.

I have a feeling these are the same brand

http://www.hearthwise.com/page/page/506663.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.