Tried some Okies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkling

Dec 3, 2009
Central MA
So I tried some Okies this past weekend for the first time. A local stove shop in my town just got a whole trailer load and the owner said they signed a contract to be a major distributor for the area so will be getting even larger shipments soon. Based on all the glowing reviews I thought I would give'm a try. I have been burning Lignetics (Green Bags) primarily in my Pinnacle PB150 boiler, which burn great. After reading reviews of how some people have had horrible batches of the Lignetics since they recently changed their formula and brought a new factory online I though I would give the Okies a try just to see. The owner of the shop assured me I would like them better than the Lignetics so I bought 5 bags to try.

I started my comparison test with a clean stove and burned the Ligentics for 24 hours, measuring peak temperatures on the front glass of about 650 deg. Then I emptied the ash pan and measured the volume and I had about 1.5 cups of ash from burning about two bags of Lignetics. Next I burned the Okies for 24 hours, measuring peak temps of about 620 deg on the front glass. and ending with 2 cups of ash after 24 hours. A few things I noticed about the Okies were that they definitely seemed to burn up quicker and at the start of each of my pilot cycles (every 8 minutes) I would get more smoke due to the quicker burn from the previous cycle. This resulted in my glass getting caked up with black soot in an hour. I did play with the combustion blower damper a little but it didn't seem to make much difference. The Okies in each of my bags were also very small compared to the Lignetics, maybe 0.25" and I am used to seeing much longer pellets. Based on my test the Okies seemed to burn exactly the same in my boiler as the Rocky Mountain Pellets I tried in the 2009-2010 heating season, which I also had problems with soot on the glass and more ash. So based on my results I'll be sticking with the Lignetics and am really glad that I listened to advice of many that no matter what brand of pellets always try them first if you have never burned them before. I have been burning the Lignetics Green for years and started when they were 100% hardwood and this seasons hardwood/conifer mix still burns great.

Royal Fireside in Uxbridge, MA, not where I currently get pellets from but a great little shop.

mkling said:
So I tried some Okies this past weekend for the first time. A local stove shop in my town just got a whole trailer load and the owner said they signed a contract to be a major distributor for the area so will be getting even larger shipments soon. Based on all the glowing reviews I thought I would give'm a try. I have been burning Lignetics (Green Bags) primarily in my Pinnacle PB150 boiler, which burn great. After reading reviews of how some people have had horrible batches of the Lignetics since they recently changed their formula and brought a new factory online I though I would give the Okies a try just to see. The owner of the shop assured me I would like them better than the Lignetics so I bought 5 bags to try.

I started my comparison test with a clean stove and burned the Ligentics for 24 hours, measuring peak temperatures on the front glass of about 650 deg. Then I emptied the ash pan and measured the volume and I had about 1.5 cups of ash from burning about two bags of Lignetics. Next I burned the Okies for 24 hours, measuring peak temps of about 620 deg on the front glass. and ending with 2 cups of ash after 24 hours. A few things I noticed about the Okies were that they definitely seemed to burn up quicker and at the start of each of my pilot cycles (every 8 minutes) I would get more smoke due to the quicker burn from the previous cycle. This resulted in my glass getting caked up with black soot in an hour. I did play with the combustion blower damper a little but it didn't seem to make much difference. The Okies in each of my bags were also very small compared to the Lignetics, maybe 0.25" and I am used to seeing much longer pellets. Based on my test the Okies seemed to burn exactly the same in my boiler as the Rocky Mountain Pellets I tried in the 2009-2010 heating season, which I also had problems with soot on the glass and more ash. So based on my results I'll be sticking with the Lignetics and am really glad that I listened to advice of many that no matter what brand of pellets always try them first if you have never burned them before. I have been burning the Lignetics Green for years and started when they were 100% hardwood and this seasons hardwood/conifer mix still burns great.

Dont believe a word Mr Kling say. I happen to know he is a dirty Patriots fan and is a major shareholder in the Lignetics company. In fact, Lignetics was named after his nickname, "Liggie"

Hows that boiler holdin up there Matty?

Best investment I ever made, although it did take me a while to figure out how to get an optimal burn out of it. I finally figured out that it burns pellets best for me with two feed cup plugs removed; the pellets burn longer during pilot cycles and I get next to nothing for smoke at the start of each pilot. My first two seasons with it I left it the way it comes from the factory with only one feed cup open and this is what was giving me the smoke issues at the start of each pilot... not enough pellets and couldn't choke down the air enough. There is nothing better than hearing everyone else complain about oil prices... I just listen and grin. Have you been selling many more? I hope so it is a great product.

Sales have been slower the past year or so. Cant really compare to the 2008 season. They are starting to pick up again now that oil is creeping back up to 4 bucks a gallon. Americans have short memories and sometimes dont make those kind of investments until the poop already hit the fan. How about your uncles boiler? Is he following your fuel advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.