Trip 4, not as good as it should have been, I get the DA award

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
4th trip to the cutting area. Most of the snow is gone.
Got 4 nice trees, was able to skid them right to the trailer. Didn't go up the hill, cut in another trail, frozen ground, so went thru what was wet stuff.
Ground frozen good so they slid pretty good. New fixes to the ATV log puller hitch/gizmo worked good, nothing broke :)
Got the first 2 trees cut & loaded fine.
Now don't laugh too hard:
It was getting late, 32°, I'm hurrying best I can, saw ran out of gas, I grabbed the oil & gas jug
laid the saw on it's side, pulled the gas cap & oil cap filled it up.
Started the saw, it ran for a few seconds. Then wouldn't start after that.
Pulled that sucker until I was tired & mad. Pulled the plug, dry as a bone. after about 30 min I
Pulled the gas cap & it had OIL. :bug:
" I FILLED IT WITH OIL" THEN THE OIL WITH GAS".
I get the "DUMB ASK" award for this month.
I emptied, flushed, pulled it with gas in the tank, real gas this time. Getting dark, cold.
Finally used the old 1975 14" craftsman to finish cutting, which took forever. Finished after the sun was down. Got home late. You know the drill.
Missed super, still had to unload, In the dark. Tired, dirty, sore & the new saw don't run.
But I got wood :)
Anyway the gas tank now has gas & the oil tank now has oil but I couldn't get it started. Tomorrow I'll work on it.

Attachments

• 100_6764.jpg
    100_6764.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 669
  • 100_6765.jpg
    100_6765.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 689
Couple more pics before it got dark & I screwed up.
Camera batts died too, looked for 10 min before I found the spares I always have (just forgot where)
My long shadow around 5 PM
If the road holds up, I might just get my permit filled yet. Snow forecast for tonight.
All nice good sized birch trees. Most of these were cut with the 14" saw, but it did good, well it ran anyway.

Attachments

• 100_6767.jpg
    100_6767.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 658
  • 100_6768.jpg
    100_6768.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 654
Thats ok Dave. We have all done something similar at one time or another. We always enjoy the pics.

Yep put oil in the gas tank once put caught it before I started the saw, I dont have the balls to post my mistakes though. :lol:

I have never* done that.

* He's lying. Only did it once.

Way to go Dave. You still got the wood back home. You stuck it out and finished well. Thanks for the pics.

Guilty as well. Once only once.

I am a fine idiot.

KC

Look @ the bright side, at least you remembered to screw the caps back on after you filled them..................................I filled both tanks one day, put the cans away and proceeded to set the saw upright and start it without the caps screwed back on. nice mess on the ground and my boots. LOL

rottiman said:
Look @ the bright side, at least you remembered to screw the caps back on after you filled them..................................I filled both tanks one day, put the cans away and proceeded to set the saw upright and start it without the caps screwed back on. nice mess on the ground and my boots. LOL

OOH yea,
done that one too. not on this trip though.
Hopefully it was "a learning experience" to be done only 1 time. :)
Make a mistake 1 time & learn from it, it produces a gray hair on you head.
Make the same mistake twice, the hair falls out.
For me so far, more gray hairs than none LOL :lol:

I did learn that have an extra saw is nice when way out in the boonies cutting, It was slow but "got-er-done". I will get a good chain for the back up saw now, I just may need to use it.

I've came close to that Dave. I have put the gas cap back on and suddenly when sawing my leg got wet. Cap on crooked. Did that one twice. Some of us learn slow....

Glad you are getting the wood before the snow.

Looks like I'm a bit behind the North East states.
My sister sent a pic of snow in South West PA today.
We'll get ours soon enough.
Gonna go work on an oily saw :)

I've done that at least twice. Don't sweat it. The 2 saws I have got their gas/oil caps opposite each other. Thanks for the cool pics.

There are enormously worse things that could have happened, with chainsaws. And they didn't.
I'll drink to that. Little oil/gas mixup- fuggeddaboudit.

How many cords can you get in one trip Dave?

On flat ground! How sweet it is.

weatherguy said:
How many cords can you get in one trip Dave?

Almost 3/4 cord per trip,
(but that's in the round, when spilt may be a little more LOL :lol: )
This trip was more nice trees, 2 were 18" at the base with no limbs for about 15' & 2 about 15" at the base.
Bigger than average & heavy, I call the big round "rollers", I roll them on & off the trailer.
Some of the smaller stuff I load in the PU. about a 1/2 load in it. A full trailer would be around 6000 lbs & on the 3500 lb rated trailer, I'd bust a tire ( or something) coming out the access road.

Almost done that a few times myself. Give you credit for admitting to it online. If I had a penny for all the dumb things I have done in my life....

smokinjay said:
On flat ground! How sweet it is.

Pics a little deceptive. An 8' knob to drag the logs up, sometimes my front wheels were off the ground when coming up.
I need more weight on the front rack, standing up & lean forward got me up.
Having the pull chain up as high, helps keep some of the weight off front of the log, & digs in less but makes the ATV front tires lift off the ground wen the log gets stuck. Trade offs.
If this type of wood getting is going to be long term, I'm thinking of some type of skidder sled, so I can pull on the ATV trailer hitch & have the front of the log on a sled.
But yes, more level than the other location, but several frozen tussocks, by no means smooth ride. ATV rear tire chains helped allot. with out them, I'd be pulling shorter logs & more trips.
Something like this would be nice. This one is little to spendy $$ for me, but may be able to make something similar.
http://www.qualipro.ca/skidder.htm

Yesterday's haul
Looks better in the daylight.

Attachments

• 100_6769.jpg
    100_6769.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 100_6770.jpg
    100_6770.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 237
Todays trip.
Had help. SIL. Im not near as sore & tired, 3 good sized, solid trees.
less than 1/2 the time. Not as big a load but easier. Having help is kinda nice.
Didn't have to gas up my saw so all went well. 3 cords so far. Unloaded before dark.

Attachments

• 100_6773.jpg
    100_6773.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 201
hahha is that what you would call a real rich mix!
My neighbor did that the other day but realized it before he pulled the rope. So it was a quick fix. I'm guessing all the pulling drew enough oil into the line or carb to prevent a start.

Looks like some good heat Dave.

TRIP #5
Had a strong helper, some of the "rollers" got stacked up high, wasn't me.
I call this official 1st snow, 1/2". Not much when compared to the NE, but ours may not melt.
2 trips = about 1-1/2 cords. (more when split :) )
The snow may have shut the access road down, iced it up.
Pile of rounds is growing, may have to split it up soon, Then it'll be 1-1/2 cord for sure. Rounds when split, grow in volume when split in my part of Alaska. :)
Lots of "vertical split only" in this pile. Some heavy rounds in there.

Attachments

• 100_6774.jpg
    100_6774.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 100_6775.jpg
    100_6775.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 167
Lookin good Dave!!! BTW RE: the earlier post about mistakes & hair, I'm bald as a cue ball soooooo........ A C

Status
Not open for further replies.