Trouble on the horizon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdodge04

Oct 7, 2008
Belfast, Maine
Turned my stove on tonight after not using it for 2 or 3 days and I'm a bit nervous...

The stove has been going for about 5 hours and it's starting to make noises.

It makes a loud squeeking noise every so often. I don't think it's the top auger...I hear the pellets drop every so often and the sound doesn't seem to happen on any set schedule.

My blower is also making some noise. A loud high pitched squeeling noise every now and then. Seems to be doing it on all settings.

Streak of bad luck it appears.

-Chad

Murphy's law at it's greatest.

Sounds like a buildup of carbon on the bottom auger tube. Have you chisled the buildup off of the bottom auger tube?

Yeah all is clean.

My blower fan sounds like the fan on my old computer when it gets stuffed with dust...kind of has that high pitched squeel with the clicking sound...

-Chad

If it's the exhaust fan, you may need to clean it out. Mine made some noise last year, and it needed a good cleaning. It's possible that the ash built up on the fan got damp and now the blades are imbablanced.

Stove has only had 8 bags of pellets run through it...

If the fan is dirty from just those 8 bags it's going to be a looooooooooong winter haha.

I'll check the blower tomorrow night after work. Thanks for the reply.

-Chad

Check out the attached photos. They show my exhaust pipe and the back of the stove. Let me know what you guys think...does this look normal? I've only run about 8-10 bags through the stove.

-Chad

Attachments

• Pellet Stove.JPG
    Pellet Stove.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 441
  • Pellet Stove (1).JPG
    Pellet Stove (1).JPG
    26 KB · Views: 439
  • Pellet Stove (2).JPG
    Pellet Stove (2).JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 432
Is it an insert? If not why the single wall? If so where is the silicone?

Eric

Did you install the stove?

The Belfast Fire Department would be happy to inspect your install for you. If that is not pellet vent pipe you might be looking for trouble.

Somtimes my Quad will whistle and squeel when a pellet or clinker covers a hole in the burn pot.

Stove isn't an insert. I have it vented through an existing double walled metal bestos 6" wood stove chimney up through the roof. I ran single walled pipe up to the ceiling support box, double walled up through the attic and up to the roof. There was silicone on everything but I scraped it all off last night because one of my buddies put the silicone on and did a less than steller performance in that he had as much silicone on the side of the pipes and on the pad as he did in the spots it was actually suppose to be. My system has been inspected by my insurance company...all is a o k.

The fan and pipes look clean. You may just have some defective parts on your hands. Call Englander and have them listen if you can, and get some new parts for it. They're open until 7pm now, at least that's what I was told yesterday.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.