Trouble Starting Big E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotstovecoolmusic

Sep 21, 2008
Central MA
Lately I've been having trouble starting my Big E (direct, horizontal vent).

The pellets keep piling up and it's not starting. Or, the pellets at the bottom of the pot finally ignite but the pellets on top of them cause a lot of white smoke to fill the chamber and come blowing out the vent, alarming our neighbors.

The smoke problem only lasts about ten seconds. As soon as the top pellets ignite, the smoke clears instantly.

Should the damper be pushed in all the way when starting the stove?

Also, when I scrape the pot, I worry that ash is blocking the igniter port. SHould I be concerned about that?

Thanks

Pull the damper 1/2 way when lighting. Is it a cast or stainless steel burn pot?

Eric

I had this problem the other day after my wife cleaned it. it turns out the burn pot and the metal piece that the burn pot fits into were not pushed all the way back like it should be. I emptied the burn pot pushed it in correctly and no more problems.

kinsman stoves said:
Pull the damper 1/2 way when lighting. Is it a cast or stainless steel burn pot?

Eric

It's a cast burn pot.

Clean the burn pot well, Get all the frag out of the holes. I used a wire brush in my drill and a small grinding stone in my dremel tool. All the holes need to be open. Don't take off any factory material, Just clean out the junk in them.

Should help.
jay

hotstovecoolmusic said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

It's a cast burn pot.

Most of the cast burn pots that had similar issues needed the ignitor hole drilled out to slightly smaller than 1/2" diameter.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.