troy-bilt 27ton honda gcv160 splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2008
upstate new york
Just wondering if anyone has some crafty ideas for the oil drain plug on this honda. the plug is designed piss poorly makes a mess when draining. i know i can nipple and cap it. thinking about buying a drainzit but dont know if they work well, seems like they would but i would be nervous of the cap coming off when i was splitting and losing the oil and smokin the engine. any suggestions would be appreciated

AFAIK Honda uses a low oil shutoff so no worries there, mate.

10-4, The Honda GVC 160 has a low oil cut-off. I know because that is the motor on my splitter.

thanks for the replies, i guess its not that big of a deal with the oil plug and the mess. i've got it down well with limited mess. Just thought this wasn't a very good design. I know alot of members here are very mechanical and just looking to see if anyone came up with a neat retrofit

I sit the splitter on a slight hill with the drain plug leaning away from the engine a little. Then I have a medium small plastic funnel that I wedge one wall of in the space between the engine block and splitter. It stays in place and the oil runs out a few inches away. I thought about the nipple or valve thing too, but it's not that big of a hole and a nipple or whatever would make the drain hole smaller yet. I guess it wouldn't be that bad but it would drain slower.

Steve

woolybugger said:
Just wondering if anyone has some crafty ideas for the oil drain plug on this honda. the plug is designed piss poorly makes a mess when draining. i know i can nipple and cap it. thinking about buying a drainzit but dont know if they work well, seems like they would but i would be nervous of the cap coming off when i was splitting and losing the oil and smokin the engine. any suggestions would be appreciated

I don't see that a properly installed nipple and cap would be any more likely to come off than the OEM plug... (I've never had a nipple / cap setup come off, I did once loose the OEM plug on my Subaru / Robin engine splitter (essentially same as a Honda) Note that if it's a Honda, it's probably metric thread...

Gooserider

woolybugger said:

I made this from a thick sheet of copper flashing 12" x 4.5" and bent it so one end had a 2" flat lip to slip under the drain plug and the other end forms into a drain-gutter. Its hard to find the thick copper flashing (got mine at HD years ago) but sheet metal would work too. It worked like a charm and I did not spill one drop of oil.

BTW, anyone had problems with the two side support plates that mount the piston to the I-beam bending perpendicular to the I-beam? Mine looks bent 1/8" or so wrt the beam on one side and a little less on the other, but I don't see how the operational stresses could have caused this. Its a great splitter - needs to be choked for a while in cold weather.

Attachments

• Drain Pan.jpg
    Drain Pan.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 395
  • Drain pan1.jpg
    Drain pan1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 377
Other than the oil issue,
How do you like the Troy-built.
I looked at one the other day, looks heavy duty, well built.
I noticed the engine is located where the split wood can fall off & hit the engine.
Nay issues with that?
$1654 here.

Thanks Steve

That's not too bad,
I've looked at every log splitter in my area.
The cost here is much more than in the lower 48.
If I bought one of the 5 or 6 types I looked at, I'd get the 22 ton Speeco.
I found a returned one they'd sell me for $1400, speeco 22t
$250 cheaper than the 27 ton /troy bilt.
The ones at HD looked easy to break & needed some beefing up in places & the commercial one $3K & up.
I think we'll try to build one similar to the Speeco. Scrounge some stuff & try to stay under $1000.
Biggest rounds may be 18" so 22 ton plenty big enough.
Will have it for next fall I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.