True North TN 40 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jim Hardy

Dec 14, 2020
MA
After years of using an old Quardrafire - I insert we decided to finally but a new insert for our home. We were in the middle of an addition and ended up getting a great price on the first one so we ended up getting a second insert for the addition. We purchased a Regency insert which I could not be happier with. it went into our existing fireplace last year. We ran about 4 tons through it last year, it has run great and we could not be happier with it. The other one we purchased was a True North TN 40 Insert. We finished the addition this year and I recently connected it and started it up. We have run about 10 bags of pellets through it and I wish I had bought two Regency models! The house smells like smoke and the unit does not throw off much heat. We have owned a few pellet stoves and the used ones that I use to have far out perform this unit. I had a local pellet stove repairman look at it and he says everything is hooked up correctly, the exhaust is good ( brand new - out of the stove 12 inches up, turns 90 degrees, a 14 inch section through the wall, turns 90 degrees and then has a thimble on the end). The unit is on a wireless thermostat, it starts up runs with a nice flame then it seems to cycle through and dies down, once you think it is going out it fires back up and repeats the same procedure all day. I called the shop I purchased the stove from which is about 30 miles away and he basically told me to go on line and see if anyone could help me or go on you tube???? Not the answer I was looking for but here I am. Not sure if anyone has a True North TN 40 insert or have any knowledge of how they operate. It just doesn't perform like any other stove I have had or have seen operate. Any ideas if there is something I could check??? The owners manual doesn't give you a whole lot of information and the stove shop didn't seem to want to be bothered with anything more than a return call letting me know how to look things up on You-Tube.
Thanks,
Jim

All I can say about the tn-40 is their control boards are very unstable. I haven’t heard about inserts but the free standings were plagued with problems an fires. @JRemington has dealt with them first hand and he dropped the line and no longer sells them.