Try this Craig's list Ad on for size. I rolled on the floor laughing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fsr4538

Jul 13, 2007
Cuted dryed wood - $15 (colebrook NH)
Date: 2011-01-24, 9:45AM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

You can pickup dryed wood cuted at 14"

we sale the cuted wood on 55 gallon open top plastic barrel with handle

a full barrel is easy to move with handle is easy to move and store any place

the barrel are 15.00 fillup with dryed wood cuted from wooden pallet

come with the enpty barrel and pay only 10.00 for a new full barrel

most of them are hard wood, no paint or durty wood, may have some nail

18 full barrel make a wood cord , so you will pay only 180.00 per cord 4 x 4 x 8

can be sold without nail if asked

call 603 915 0376

cant spell wurth chit but at least he knows what a cord is

I want to see this wood. The "nails and paint" certainly make me curious of what the heck this stuff is.

pen

He is selling cut up pallets packed into barrels. Paint and nails are a given. I am surprised he is not charging extra for the nail removal.

Opps I misread read, he meant no paint. Yea, I was thinking (hoping pallets). But part of me sees him selling old pressure treated lumber from a deck he cut off his house.

pen

Its always a laugh seeing "chords" of wood for sale on Craigslist too:)

Well, if that is seriously the best ad they can come up with, and they think they have figured out some way of making some money and supporting themselves, then I wish them all the best and hope they are successful. Even down and out people deserve the right to earn a living,,,,,,,, eevn if dur splling ain't two gud,

Still, I wonder if that isn't a fake ad??? :-/

Blazin said:
You could call and give him your CC # to find out.... :lol:

OK, I called them up, they don't take Visa, but I asked them if they deliver, and if so how big their delivery truck is?
You'll find out if they are legit, or not, tomorrow when you come home from work, there should be 3 cords (of broken pallets) dumped in front of your house, and a couple hillybilly lookin guys waiting for some cash.
Let us know how it turns out. ;-)
You might want to stop by a cash machine on the way home.
hillbillies.jpg

That's how I read that, too: esl (English as a second language).

I went to school with an amazing guy; helped support his family as a kid, left Vietnam with them, lived in a refugee camp in Cambodia for several years, and then made it to America as a boat person before he was 12. One other person in his family survived. Teacher now, with a master's degree, and a great way with kids. Just the neatest, happiest, guy, has a great family of his own now. He said that when they were kids they did whatever they could to make money for the family--sold pencils on the street, candy to people coming out of theaters, went home and shared whatever he made with his family. Said that no-one thought in terms of something being just for them; individual survival was synonomous with survival of the family unit.

Sounds like these guys are trying to make a living, to me, and I know too many folks who have every advantage and yet sit back waiting for a handout. Heck, I'd buy some wood cuted by these folks, and even take them up on the BYO offer. I don't see it as sad. How many folks do you know that would cut up pallets for $10 a barrel, and pull the nails out for the asking? If everyone in this country had a work ethic like that we'd be in a lot better shape.

Had some other friends from China, a fellow student who had been here two years before his wife and child could join him. Daughter was six, met her on her first day in a new country, at a party given in honor of her and her mother's arrival. My dd managed to get her fingers shut in a car door, and this little one who had to be over the moon w/jet lag, no English, strange faces came and found me and let me know that I had to come because I was urgently needed--she knew I went with that kiddo. A year later, she was at the top of her class in a high end school, playing piano, and fluent in two languages. I've seen too many immigrants who were educated professionals in their own countries who gave that up to drive taxi, wash dishes or whatever (cute wood?) here. And I've seen them go back to school to re-earn that professional status, while working a full-time job (or more) on the side. Most of them have amazing stories to tell, and we're richer for having them here; I bet these guys have a story, too.

Everytime I hear or see someone attempting to speak or write fractured English, I ask myself how fluent I am in their language, and my answer is invariably, not very. We're all mockable, guys.

I was guessing a frenchman or something. Used to seeing it alot growing up in northern Maine. Took me a good 5-6 years of being in the military to get "normal" but when I go home everyone says I talk funny. haha.

I have burnt cut up pallets before actually added it in to split wood, pallets are made alot from hard wood such as oak. Burns really well just doesn't last as long. I have to go along the lines of at least they are trying to earn money in a legal way and not at least as far as I know selling dope or climbing in our windows in the early morning hours stealing our tv's and chainsaws. I respect anyone who works I can't stand a LOW LIFE _ _ _ _ _ _ that is living off the system that could work but just won't. I hope them the best in thier sells of barrels and of wood.

I always read those as ESL.
Free barrels, free pallets, working for peanuts at least trying to do something.

I probably wouldn't buy any myself, but they're probably a better deal than those plastic wrapped chunks at the grocery store entrance.

NATE379 said:
I was guessing a frenchman

Oh, a Frenchman, then they're fair game;)

Jutt77 said:
NATE379 said:

Doane go pootin down la francais uh? You make me get up off my seat chair dare an
I go gits my twin pipe 12 shot gauge and puts big holes in your barn uh?! Huh Huh Huh!!!
Now I see me gets the lass laff when you try burn firewood dare with shotbuck holes in it!

okotoks guy said:
Jutt77 said:
NATE379 said:

Doane go pootin down la francais uh? You make me get up off my seat chair dare an
I go gits my twin pipe 12 shot gauge and puts big holes in your barn uh?! Huh Huh Huh!!!
Now I see me gets the lass laff when you try burn firewood dare with shotbuck holes in it!

LOL!

I'm guessing from the sentence structure, the way that verbs are tensed (cut+ed=cuted; dry+ed=dryed; ask+ed=asked), the recognition of a few irregular verbs (sold) suggesting that some terms of commerce are starting to be learned; the repetion of phrases (the full barrel is easy to move with handles is easy to move and store) means that ideas are being `chunked'--learned as units; the failure to follow common plural patterning (18 barrel, may have some nail, can be sold without nail if asked), the phonetic spelling (enpty, durty), and the consistency with which these perceived rules are applied lead me to guess that the language of origin was not Indo-European. Also noteworthy is the thoroughness with which all pertinent information is covered--some careful thought went into this; there is an underlying intelligence and consistency here.

People whose first language is English, but who struggle with spelling usually either fall into the camp of folks with specific learning disabilities, or people who just never learned to spell. The first group tend to have really notable compensatory skills (charm, wit, a personable way about them), and have consistent errors that are pretty easy to analzye, and people who are just poor spellers are not generally as consistent in their errors--they tend to try all possible variations of spelling in the hope of getting at least one right. This CL listing didn't have either of those earmarks. It just got the job done.

Since most French simple nouns are pluralized by adding unless they already end in that sound, I'd expect a Frenchman to be able to handle that plural. In languages where plural is not indicated with an added morpheme, such as Mandarin Chinese, plurality is often deduced through contextual clues, or expressed by the use of numbers rather than changing the noun form: 18 full barrel.

Besides, if the poster was French, even if he or she was fluent in English, I would expect him or her to have posted in French.

okotoks guy said:

Mercy buckups, Monsir.

I rest my case. :blank:

While it is clear that these guys could use a visit from the spelling fairy, I think you guys might be onto something about them being foreign because I work with a woman from the Phillipians who I have a very hard time trying to understand what she is trying to say to me most of the time, but I'll tell ya she's in her 60's and she works her ass off and makes most of these younger people here look lazy. They may not have the best spelling but at least they're trying and turning junk pallets into some cash; I hope they do well.

I agree with many here, those people are workin. I personally cut up 15 pallets a few weeks back and it was lots of work for a little wood! I will not blame them for bad spelling but it does make it hard to read and my cynical side would want to see the product before I purchased it... :-/

I just think the poster lacks an education. Hell, I have a decent vocabulary, but just recently:
I was on a little cruise up near the 1000 islands. It was sponsered by a local radio station we advertise with. I was surrounded by super educated (mostly liberal) scientists, doctors, politicians, etc. I felt very much like an uneducated idiot. These people were speaking and acting (know which is the salad fork, etc) in a way that was so bizarre to me. Try as I could to make chit chat with them, I just couldnt fit in. They all knew so much stuff, and spoke using these words that I kinda knew what they meant but I had to look them up on google when I got home.

The happy ending was, it was an open bar for wine/beer. By the end of the night, as I shuttled booze from the bar to the table I was at as fast as I could, I had them all dumbed down to my level and it was all football and fart jokes (almost)

Franks said:
I just think the poster lacks an education. Hell, I have a decent vocabulary, but just recently:
I was on a little cruise up near the 1000 islands. It was sponsered by a local radio station we advertise with. I was surrounded by super educated (mostly liberal) scientists, doctors, politicians, etc. I felt very much like an uneducated idiot. These people were speaking and acting (know which is the salad fork, etc) in a way that was so bizarre to me. Try as I could to make chit chat with them, I just couldnt fit in. They all knew so much stuff, and spoke using these words that I kinda knew what they meant but I had to look them up on google when I got home.

The happy ending was, it was an open bar for wine/beer. By the end of the night, as I shuttled booze from the bar to the table I was at as fast as I could, I had them all dumbed down to my level and it was all football and fart jokes (almost)

LOL- the great equalizer! Good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.