trying to figure what chimney setup to get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the pony boy

Nov 5, 2011
putnam ny
i know i am going to use the selkirk pellet vent to match my current chimney. but since i have to order everything online i want to make sure i have enough pipe so i can finish the install. after i use there adapter i will have about 6'10" of pipe to the exhaust of the stove. i guess what im asking is what is the best way to make the connection. i was going to tee to a 60" than 45 to a adj 12" pipe than 45 to the adapter. but i have questions like do the 45 fit on the adapter? and what if the 60" pipe brings it up to high what than? sorry for the newb question. phil

Simpson has adjustable length sections. Not sure if Selkirk does either. But worth looking into.

Do you have your stove in place yet? Can you run Temp cardboard tubes (think X-mas wrapping) or some PVC if you have any lying around? To try and fab up a system. I would base my 45* offset on how high the 60" piece got me. Then place the stove accordingly.

I did see adjustable pipes but they only adjusted 3". I do have plenty of room to move the stove. But I like the idea of using PVC to fab a template to go buy. Maybe I will get some from homedepot and return when I'm done.

the pony boy said:
i know i am going to use the selkirk pellet vent to match my current chimney. but since i have to order everything online i want to make sure i have enough pipe so i can finish the install. after i use there adapter i will have about 6'10" of pipe to the exhaust of the stove. i guess what im asking is what is the best way to make the connection. i was going to tee to a 60" than 45 to a adj 12" pipe than 45 to the adapter. but i have questions like do the 45 fit on the adapter? and what if the 60" pipe brings it up to high what than? sorry for the newb question. phil

Assuming you are using Selkirk DT or? If not, below is irrelevant.

the pony boy said:
I did see adjustable pipes but they only adjusted 3". I do have plenty of room to move the stove. But I like the idea of using PVC to fab a template to go buy. Maybe I will get some from homedepot and return when I'm done.

Lucky you posted, I was in the same situation and I tried to piece together a system using the add on telescopic length, but that's pretty much worthless if you need a wider adjustment range. Selkirk doesn't show the telescopic section in their "new" literature, but they do still offer it. Try to avoid the add on length extender since mine didn't work well and I had to return it.

The piece I bought was this one, it works well - 1 - [4DT-TL38] Selkirk 4x6 Direct-Temp Telescopic Length 38''-70'' - 4DT-TL38 @ $63.96

dynamitebuys.com is the best place to buy, but their website is a bit tough to navigate. Best if you have a Selkirk number then search for each specific part.

Try this link for all the telescopic length options - http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=search_results&search=4dt-tl

Attachments

• stove5.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 216
lbcynya said:
the pony boy said:

Assuming you are using Selkirk DT or? If not, below is irrelevant.

the pony boy said:

Lucky you posted, I was in the same situation and I tried to piece together a system using the add on telescopic length, but that's pretty much worthless if you need a wider adjustment range. Selkirk doesn't show the telescopic section in their "new" literature, but they do still offer it. Try to avoid the add on length extender since mine didn't work well and I had to return it.

The piece I bought was this one, it works well - 1 - [4DT-TL38] Selkirk 4x6 Direct-Temp Telescopic Length 38''-70'' - 4DT-TL38 @ $63.96

dynamitebuys.com is the best place to buy, but their website is a bit tough to navigate. Best if you have a Selkirk number then search for each specific part.

Try this link for all the telescopic length options - http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=search_results&search=4dt-tl

you have a picture of the set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.