Trying to id a Portland Stove oven insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mconsidine

Jul 23, 2011
Vermont
Hi,
I've got a house that was built around 1959 and in the kitchen, on the other side of the fireplace, is what appears to be some sort of oven. Three people in the area are unable to identify it or describe how it was designed to be used. An image is attached.

The markings inside the door say "Portland Stove Fdry Co, Portland ME, No 1216"

If anyone here can help, I'd be grateful.

Sincerely,
Matt Considine
Vermont

Attachments

• PortlandOvenInsert1216.jpg
    PortlandOvenInsert1216.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 324
Portland stove foundry cast the door.....they were a big foundry from the 1800's right through about the mid-1900's.
Out of business now.

It looks like the Portland part is only the door and frame - the inside looks like regular masonry. Many doors like this are used as cleanout for ash dumps, but since this is higher up it must serve some other purpose.

Maybe it was for raising bread?

Thank you for your reply. The unit is about chest high/four feet up from the floor and it has it's own flue. It looks like it's some sort of firebrick under the soot (though I haven't cleaned it off) and further up it appears to be regular brick. The regular brick seems to be a facing layer on top of cinder block.

There is no ash cleanout or inlet for a draft, so I'm guessing that a small fire would have been built on the base and then the ashes would have been cleaned out once the brick was warmed up?

Clearly there had been a fire in it at one time, as pictures from a digital camera propped up inside show soot further up. Couldn't have been that hot of a fire though. I built a retained heat brick oven in Pennsylvania and those bricks were always pristine after a full heating.

Thanks again for your reply. And thanks in advance for anyone else's thoughts.

Matt

It clearly has had a fire in it or smoke passing through it. I am surprised to hear there is no air intake. How would one get a hot fire going? With the door open?

Status
Not open for further replies.