trying to identify wood that is olive green color - Connecticut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donatello

Nov 8, 2007
Connecticut
I live in Connecticut. My brother got a load of free wood yesterday and wanted to go back for more. I want to identify it first. I have no leaf for identification, but one unique characteristic is the color of this freshly cut wood - olive green color. He said the tree was really big and the wood was heavy for its size.

Probably was left behind from a visit from mars------------ You need to take pictures if you expect much help.

Sounds like it might be green poplar. But that is just a guess. It's heavy when wet, but light when dry.

Thinking its green Tulip Poplar,very heavy when wet,light to medium weight when dry.

Thanks Thistle and BeGreen. That explains why nobody has grabbed the wood so far. cptoneleg, I would have taken pictures tomorrow if needed, but I wanted to throw the question out there to see if anyone had an idea before I make a special trip. If there wasn't such a different characteristic, I would have waited until I had a photo.
If its green, could be from Mars, and if it was brown it would be from Uranus ....

My poplar is more white, well I guess maybe a green tint sometimes, I like the stuff for kindling, and what they call sholder season, next yr. I will have alot more of it ready. I use a small load of it to knock the chill off on cool nights and mornings.

Good Luck

American Tulip - Not a poplar but considered poplar-like...Liriodendron Tulipifera. Dries quickly, burns hot and fast. Does not do well for overnight burns.

cptoneleg said:
My poplar is more white, well I guess maybe a green tint sometimes, I like the stuff for kindling, and what they call sholder season, next yr. I will have alot more of it ready. I use a small load of it to knock the chill off on cool nights and mornings.
That's my plan as well. I'm using Pine right now for kindling but there's plenty of dead Tulip around for next year. I'll use any Pine I get for outdoor fires...

donatello said:
I live in Connecticut. My brother got a load of free wood yesterday and wanted to go back for more. I want to identify it first. I have no leaf for identification, but one unique characteristic is the color of this freshly cut wood - olive green color. He said the tree was really big and the wood was heavy for its size.

Me and a buddy cut some last year. Apparently, it was locust. Greenish in colour, heavy as concrete, bark probably 1.5-2" thick and so rough and gnarly. Not many branches but what there were were twisted and craggy - looked like the ideal horror movie tree. Trees were probably 4-5 feet in diameter. Very old, very big and lots of very good wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.