trying to recoup some money

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Occo370

Jan 23, 2010
Jersey Shore
For me wood burning isn't the only option i have, but its the most inexpensive, but also time consuming. So i thought id put out a small rack and try to recoup some money i spent this year on a saw and splitter. I placed a rack approx 2x3 ( single stack ) of splits out infront of my house with a sign saying $25. I figured people would buy instead of going to gas station or Walmart and getting 8 small splits for $8. My rack held about 3 full wheelbarrow full. --- i know its not the best deal out there but im not looking to supplement my income, just figured if a few racks sold i could recoup a little of the money ----

either way

i had quite a few people stop and look as they drove by. One guy stopped and asked if he could have it... i said "yes" for $25. Well. a long story short. i came home from work the other night. 1/2 the stack was missing. I WAS ROBBED. my neighbor said he saw a lady putting it in her trunk.

So now i figured id leave the remaining wood out there until it was completely stolen and give up on my 'venture.

I know we all burn / process for ourselves and to heat the house... does anyone sell a cord here or there to make up some of the expense?

I do but only full cords stacked and delivered where ever they want it very seasoned hardwoods. Don't sell many and only to people who have bought from me before!

When I was younger and between work I would sell p/up truck loads of firewood for cash. Usually a face cord here & there, quick grocery & beer money. The wood was always good quality. Recently though I just sell some, albeit rarely, to friends of friends undelivered but split and stacked. They come and get it and I help load and count the money.

thats what i was trying to do...Beer money so i can drink and split my wood....

Guess you'll be drinking water for a while yet. lol

Actually, it is really a shame what people will do. You evidently had a sign there; maybe she couldn't read....

I sell a few cords to people I know - 5 cords this year. I have a dump trailer that holds 1/2 cord and they don't mind a 1/2 at a time. It is stacked in the trailer (I like giving full cord measurement) but I dump it when I get there, usually pretty close to their stacking area. One customer wants it split fatter - OK with me. I split smaller for my gassification boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.