TSC/Blue label Lignetics/Old Dominion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DobieMom

Nov 28, 2010
Eastern Shore of MD
Just stopped in TSC...no Lignetics - just Old Dominion. Asked what was up and the clerk said they had info from corp that Lignetics isn't able to keep up with supply right now. Never burned these OD's so bought a few bags to try. Searched forum for info - sparce and not very recent - did find Jay's review :) Anyone have a report on these Old Dominions? I REALLY WANT SOME SOMERSETS DANG IT!! :)

As per a discussion with Jay T., and also from doing some test burning of them myself, they are a pretty good pellet. I'd have no problem buying them.

But, as you already know, test burn 2-3 bags on your stove to make sure.

Thanks for weighing in imacman :) Yes, I always buy a few bags for a test run before opting for a larger stash. Anxious to compare heat and ash output against the Ligs. I did find clinkers from the Ligs when I cleaned the stove tonight...sigh

I did not see any clinkers when I burned the OD. Pretty low ash too.

Thanks for the link imacman...had read that before I posted ;) Thanks for your input on them too. Got a bag in now giving it a try. Also want to grab a few bags of the American Wood from HD to try because TS didn't have many of the OD. Have to stay on top of this pellet stuff since we don't get much to choose from in my neck of the woods :(

I think they are nations choice just in a different bag. They make them here in my backyard. I tried a couple bags and thought they did pretty good. I can get them for 200/ton. I picked up some blue lignetics today gonna try them out 219/ton @ TSC in charlottesville va.

I'm only about half thru one bag of the OD and so far I'm very pleased with them...not much ash at all, GOOD heat and NO clinkers <knocking on wood> :) Unless something goes south - I'd say I like the OD a LOT better than the Lignetics...keeping paws crossed ;)

Going into my 15th bag tonight of OD. I am very pleased for the price. If I would have known they were going to be available at my local HD, I would have pre-bought less last season of Sprucies. They're very small, uniform pellets. I have not bought a thermometer yet so I can't speak of temps, but they seem really good. HD by me doessn't have them anymore, has the presto-logs now. If they still had the OD I would pick up another ton for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.