Tsunami Warning West US, Alaska, Canada

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
FYI
Sirens going off in Homer Alaska now. Folks being moved to higher ground.
All West Coast US, Alaska, Canada
Wave estimated impact time posted online
Don't know where to post it.

I'm 256 feet elevation & way up Cook Inlet, so no warning here.

The news this moring had said that a Nuclear plant lost its cooling water. Hope they got the reactor shut down.

So what did you get for a wave in AK? Sure it was bad in Japan and Hawaii saw something noticable, maybe AK got more? Better be a good wave to get you all out of bed so late at night.

When I looked out back this morning
my woodshed was still 3/4 full.
Big earth quakes due in AK & Cal you just never know when.
TV pics show real powerful wave in Japan.
Sunny day, no wind, Hint of Spring :)

Who builds nuc-u-lar reactors on top of the junction of THREE TECTONIC PLATE BOUNDARIES. All bets are off at that point.

Sitting on the ring of fire, this is very sobering to watch. My heart goes out to the Japanese people. There may be tens of thousands missing. In some cases entire small cities have either been wiped out or are burning out of control. There is a lot of suffering going on there.

Time for us to stop dinking around and get set up for the big one here. We have a big ravine down the road from us. Kind of odd shaped, because there is no water running down it. I just found out a couple weeks ago that it happened about 300 yrs ago in a giant earthquake that hit this region. Part of the hillside sluffed off and went northwest about 400 ft, right out into Puget Sound. During another older earthquake the south end of Bainbridge Island rose 15-25 ft.!

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Who builds nuc-u-lar reactors on top of the junction of THREE TECTONIC PLATE BOUNDARIES. All bets are off at that point.

Looks real bad, looks like the cooling systems are failing in two different plants, not good.

Zap

BG We were just watching a film that likened the cascadia subduction zone to the one that that triggered the 2004 Sumatra quake just before it took place.

Loverly. I just updated my earlier post with what can happen here.

So teach, I was wondering something. NASA released a new study that found that the ice sheets on Greenland and Antarctica are melting faster than previously thought. That has to be displacing a lot of weight. I was wondering how this would affect plate tectonics?

BeGreen said:
Time for us to stop dinking around and get set up for the big one here. We have a big ravine down the road from us. Kind of odd shaped, because there is no water running down it. I just found out a couple weeks ago that it happened about 300 yrs ago in a giant earthquake that hit this region. Part of the hillside sluffed off and went northwest about 400 ft, right out into Puget Sound. During another older earthquake the south end of Bainbridge Island rose 15-25 ft.!

That's pretty cool to me 3,000 miles away.

As for the melt affecting the plates-I'm not a geologist, but I don't think so. The increased weight might have a small impact on dense oceanic crusts as they sink under continental crusts. Just a guess though.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
I think they said one was built in 1971 and thats the one that blew up

BeGreen said:
So teach, I was wondering something. NASA released a new study that found that the ice sheets on Greenland and Antarctica are melting faster than previously thought. That has to be displacing a lot of weight. I was wondering how this would affect plate tectonics?

Its not likely to have much of an immediate effect. There will probably be a certain amount of isostatic rebound associated with the melting, where the continental crust rises from there being less ice weighing it down. From our perspective it might be millimeters per year. Both the Antarctic and Greenland land masses aren't on any major plate boundaries, but they are somewhat close to divergent plate boundaries, where plates spread apart and new oceanic is created.

BeGreen said:
So it is thought that the additional trillions of tons of water would be too evenly dispersed to affect thinner parts of the crust under the oceans? Seems like adding 475 gigatons per year might have some effect, but maybe not.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/earth20110308.html

Well, its not my specific background, but I did have to take a graduate course in tectonics when getting my graduate degree. My thoughts are.. perhaps, but perhaps not. The article didn't mention plate tectonics, but if there is some sort of effect, I think it wouldn't be noticeable for generations. Tectonic activity is typically driven by forces beneath the plates (convection currents from the mantle) rather than forces above them. I think the most significant impact from dumping gigatons of cold, fresh water into the oceans, other than the obvious sea level changes, would be climate change due to the disruption of warmer water currents that help determine weather patterns.

As a geology/hydrology professor I know once said at the end of a long, complicated talk "well, that's science for you.."

I think the most significant impact from dumping gigatons of cold, fresh water into the oceans, other than the obvious sea level changes, would be climate change due to the disruption of warmer water currents that help determine weather patterns.

Yes, that agrees with the research and concerns coming out of Wood's Hole Research Center.

BeGreen said:
I think the most significant impact from dumping gigatons of cold, fresh water into the oceans, other than the obvious sea level changes, would be climate change due to the disruption of warmer water currents that help determine weather patterns.

Yes, that agrees with the research and concerns coming out of Wood's Hole Research Center.

Who is going to benefit from a warmer earth? 120,000 years ago it was about 1.5 degrees C warmer. I wonder what NH was like then. I wouldn't mind warmer Winters, but damn it if I want a bunch of Bostonians trying to muscle in to my state!

btuser said:
BeGreen said:

Who is going to benefit from a warmer earth? 120,000 years ago it was about 1.5 degrees C warmer. I wonder what NH was like then. I wouldn't mind warmer Winters, but damn it if I want a bunch of Bostonians trying to muscle in to my state!

Warmer winters in New England might just mean a longer mud season ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.