Turning an axe into a hatchet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
So, I've got a couple old axes that I've picked up at garage sales over the past couple years. One has a relatively short handle and the blade has been ground down in a........uh, less than stellar manner.
I was thinking of cutting the handle down and regrinding the blade. It might be a little top heavy, but I could always get another handle for it if it doesn't work.
I'd like to use it as a kindling maker.
Has anyone done this?
Like I need another project.....>>

I'd try it, why not.

pen

Yup . . . pretty much did exactly what you described with an ax that had a chunk of metal missing from it . . . and for the same purpose -- to split kindling. Old ax head attached to a hatchet handle which I used to split up kindling. The head recently came off though (my own fault) as I didn't really secure it as well as I should have with a wedge . . . and technically I should grind the head a bit more than I did to give it a better shape.

Sure. One of the first antique tools I bought over 30 yrs ago was a larger ancient claw hatchet with 1 broken claw found at local garage sale.No maker's name on the beast,but the cutting edge is excellent high carbon steel.The hammer part not so good haha. Used a slow speed metal cutting bandsaw to remove the remaining claw,touched it up with angle grinder & 120 grit belt to use the poll as hammerhead occasionally. Still use it as my main kindling splitter.

How about just re-grind the head first & then cut the handle down a bit at a time 'till the balance is good?
I really don't like hatchets that are too top heavy for kindling-ing. Would rather just choke-up on a full-sized axe.

Go for it Dave.

Give it a shot and post pics. I get inspiration from this sites. lol

I pick up old axe heads from time to time at yard sales and fleas markets. Usually on the super cheap because no one wants to repurpose them. I use them as splitting wedges for kindling and bow staves because I have more control of the split. I just put it into the round and hammer on it with a small sledge. Having a short handle on it hakes this real easy because you can hold the small round in position and hammer away. I forge my own little kindling hawks from 100+ year old wrought with a hardenable carbon steel(5160) buisiness edge forge welded in. Usually a piece of old lawnmower blade because it takes a nice edge but is not to brittle so it can survive the rigors of chopping.

Attachments

• hawk2.jpg
    hawk2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 291
[quote="midwestcoast, post: 1106780, member: 11676"]How about just re-grind the head first & then cut the handle down a bit at a time 'till the balance is good?
I really don't like hatchets that are too top heavy for kindling-ing. Would rather just choke-up on a full-sized axe.[/quote]

This was my first thought. The head is still pretty heavy (for a hatchet), even though it's been ground quite a bit.
I'll have to put up a couple pics. I'll take a tape with me.

Nice hawk BobUrban! ....I've re-handled a few and cut one down bit by bit to gey the balance decent, good luck with it, Papadave.
I like little roofing hatchets with the hammer end.I need to get some more tho, my boys like them also, and I haven't a clue where my pair is. Gonna hit the yard sales this weekend and and paint them blaze orange. (paint the new hatchets, not the boys):)

Status
Not open for further replies.