Twigs and buds, please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TreePointer

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2010
PA
If you have a wood ID question, see if you can get a good picture of leaves, too. Of course, if you had leaves, you probably wouldn't be asking for an ID, right?

If you didn't know already, a single picture of a twig can reveal a lot of info. Buds, leaf scars, lenticles, color, cross section, et al., can really do a good job of differentiating tree species.

If you have trouble getting a twig picture in good focus, use the MACRO mode on your camera. It's there for taking close-ups. You get extra credit if you throw in a coin or something else into the picture to indicate scale.

Thank you Sir! This was the way I was taught to id trees! It's nice to know I won't be the only one banging my head against the wall with bark pics from now on. First thing I look at with a twig is MADCapHorse and then go from there with other clues.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.