Twilight-II-B Moisture in Valve compartment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrfire

Jan 19, 2011
Vancouver
I have a Twilight-II-B that is installed in a cold climate situation. What I am seeing is mositure is pooling to the point it is shorting out electrical components under the fireplace. The factory is saying they are not seeing this issue and have no assistance here. Does anyone think that installing some insulation in the valve cavity against the outter portion towards the outside of the fireplace would be an issue. Would this cause any issues?

JC93 said:
I have a Twilight-II-B that is installed in a cold climate situation. What I am seeing is mositure is pooling to the point it is shorting out electrical components under the fireplace. The factory is saying they are not seeing this issue and have no assistance here. Does anyone think that installing some insulation in the valve cavity against the outter portion towards the outside of the fireplace would be an issue. Would this cause any issues?

I suppose you should first figure out where the moisture is coming from.
Is it from outside precipitation or is it from inside, from cooking & showers?

you might block critical air flow if you insulate areas not designed to be insulated

you say cold climate, is it super humid outside as well?
they claim this thing is hurricane rated and weather tested

Would advise against insulating too. Been awhile since I had to deal with Heat n Glo . Are you running the pilot?

It gets a bit better when the pilot is running however there is still moisture building under the fireplace. I have been informed it is hurricane rated however 0F and gale force winds are a bit different. Dont have any issues with the wind. All of the moisture is starting on the back wall of the interior of the valve cavity. Im almost wondering if the insulation in the unit was missed? I have seen a few of these installed and they do not seem to be having the same issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.