Two cords stacked this weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
Finally got around to ordering the wood for the winter. It's a bit later than I wanted, but I have 1 cord that's been stacked since November. That should buy me some extra drying time. I used a new wood guy; a recomendation from a neighbor who's done some work on our house (he's a contractor, so he knows a bunch of people). He was a little more than the going rate by about $20 a cord. But he cut it to 18" for me and 95% of the wood was straight, no knot splits...good stuff IMHO.

I'm going into my 3rd year burning..and still can't ID stuff really well. There was some white birch in there, but not much. I'll try and get better pics later. My wife, who is a saint, helped me stack. We managed to this done in about 2.5 hours yesterday. Not only was it heavy, it was wet due to all the rain we've had in VT as of late. But I'm thrilled it's off the ground and hopefully the dry weather this week will get the seasoning going.

I had set up the skids/pallets last weekend, so it was just a matter of moving and stacking. For seasoning, I prefer single row stacking, but did double to save on space. In addition to the ATV and trailer, my wife used the wheelbarrow.

Attachments

• firewood1.jpg
    firewood1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 531
  • firewood2.jpg
    firewood2.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 516
  • Firewood3.jpg
    Firewood3.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 492
  • firewood4.jpg
    firewood4.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 523
Nice looking stacks.

fv

Skier76 said:
Finally got around to ordering the wood for the winter. It's a bit later than I wanted, but I have 1 cord that's been stacked since November. That should buy me some extra drying time. I used a new wood guy; a recomendation from a neighbor who's done some work on our house (he's a contractor, so he knows a bunch of people). He was a little more than the going rate by about $20 a cord. But he cut it to 18" for me and 95% of the wood was straight, no knot splits...good stuff IMHO.

I'm going into my 3rd year burning..and still can't ID stuff really well. There was some white birch in there, but not much. I'll try and get better pics later. My wife, who is a saint, helped me stack. We managed to this done in about 2.5 hours yesterday. Not only was it heavy, it was wet due to all the rain we've had in VT as of late. But I'm thrilled it's off the ground and hopefully the dry weather this week will get the seasoning going.

I had set up the skids/pallets last weekend, so it was just a matter of moving and stacking. For seasoning, I prefer single row stacking, but did double to save on space. In addition to the ATV and trailer, my wife used the wheelbarrow.

Skier76, nice job on the stacking.

zap

Nice looking yard. Lots of character.

How long are those stacks? (looks longer than 16 ft)

Thanks guys!

It's our weekend place, so we do what we can when we're up there. We've removed a bunch of trees, had that huge stump ground out from that poplar tree we had taken down last year and put down 5 yards of top soil last weekend. It's always something, but we really enjoy it.

Jay, I need to measure the stacks. I can't remember how many skids I put down. I'd say the stacks are closer to 20 ft vs 16 ft. I'll measure this weekend. I was thinking that it looks a bit more than two cords.

Skier76 said:
Thanks guys!

It's our weekend place, so we do what we can when we're up there. We've removed a bunch of trees, had that huge stump ground out from that poplar tree we had taken down last year and put down 5 yards of top soil last weekend. It's always something, but we really enjoy it.

Jay, I need to measure the stacks. I can't remember how many skids I put down. I'd say the stacks are closer to 20 ft vs 16 ft. I'll measure this weekend. I was thinking that it looks a bit more than two cords.

I am thinking 20 thats how I do my stacks to....

skier 76,thats a beautiful place. :coolsmile:

lukem said:
That tree in the bottom pic sure has a lot of character. :lol:

Skier76 said:
still can't ID stuff really well. There was some white birch in there, but not much. I'll try and get better pics later.
I thought I saw some Oak in there...

Nice looking stacks!

I wouldn't expect the wood to be very good this season. It'll be tough for any wood type from this point on being truly ready in time. If he cut it to 18" lengths for you it means it was in log length before he split it. As we all know wood doesn't really season much before it's split. It looks like a bunch of oak(2 years+ seasoning) in the pile but some close ups with help us out on the ID.

Very nice stack of wood.
Just for reference from what I've learned here,
a little space between rows helps it season better/faster with good air on both sides.
Should be fine unless it's oak you plan to burn this coming season, 2 yrs for oak. (just a tip I learned here.)

It was certainly green wood. When I talked to the guy last week, he said he'd get it delivered...as soon as his supplier delivered another load. So that wood is pretty "grapple truck fresh". I've got gap between the stacks, so that should help a bit. Ideally, I'd single row stack, but that takes up a bit more space. The double row allowed it all to be neatly tucked into the corder of the yard.

I'll get some more pics of the wood this weekend. ID-ing it should be easier since the stacks will be a bit dry. It poured Friday night...and Saturday afternoon/evening, so that stuff was pretty wet.

That face on the tree cracks me up. Our neighbor has another one on her front yard as well.

We were at our "weekend place" this past weekend also. I spent my time in the hot tub. :)

Nice looking stacks!

Shari said:
We were at our "weekend place" this past weekend also. I spent my time in the hot tub. :)

Nice looking stacks!

We need pictures Shari!

Skier, at least the splits are small so that is in your favor to help drying. In time you will learn to tell the difference in different woods because you will tend to get the same stuff over and over. Learn to spot one or two and when you can pick those out, learn another and another. In time you'll be like me when your brain gets overloaded and you forget it all.

Woody Stover said:
lukem said:
That tree in the bottom pic sure has a lot of character. :lol:

Skier76 said:
still can't ID stuff really well. There was some white birch in there, but not much. I'll try and get better pics later.
I thought I saw some Oak in there...

Is the oak the stuff with the reddish hue on the split surface?

Backwoods Savage said:
Skier, at least the splits are small so that is in your favor to help drying. In time you will learn to tell the difference in different woods because you will tend to get the same stuff over and over. Learn to spot one or two and when you can pick those out, learn another and another. In time you'll be like me when your brain gets overloaded and you forget it all.

LOL! I certainly have a lot of memorizing to do...before I can even worry about forgetting anything!

My first year buring I dealt with underseasoned wood and it wasn't a picnic. I'm hoping my extra cord can by me some time at the front of the season. I have no one to blame but myself for this. Life just got in the way of firewood. But I'm confident that it should be "mostly" dry when I tap into it. For ha-ha's, I should split a few splits and test with the moisture meter this weekend.

Hollowhill,
Thats' what I was thinking; the splits with read were Oak. I'll take a closer look.

Status
Not open for further replies.