Two Fingers and a Thumb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Once I wear them out it's time for the duct tape.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1392.jpg
    100_1392.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 470
I have a few pairs like that and, there a few more cords in that pair.

I was thinking thats what you lost...of course I had to look! Glad you kept all your apendages!

I went in the basement and grabbed a pair of the stove gloves down there for a "event" on the grill. Forgot about that hole in one of the fingers.

Ouch!!

BrotherBart said:
I went in the basement and grabbed a pair of the stove gloves down there for a "event" on the grill. Forgot about that hole in one of the fingers.

Ouch!!

How was the meal? :zip:

zap

smokinjay said:
I have a few pairs like that and, there a few more cords in that pair.

Smokin it was like a Monsoon here today for about three hours then it quit raining and the wind picked up, the white pines had a good sway going to them.

zap

I never use those things. I bought nice leather gloves for the kids, but I have yet use a pair myself.

LOL use the same gloves and that's what I do too zap.

Funny thing is years ago I started using those gloves cause the packs were inexpensive and I considered the gloves expendable. But someone on the arboristsite put the bug in my ear with the duck tape and I've used it ever since.

ikessky said:
I never use those things. I bought nice leather gloves for the kids, but I have yet use a pair myself.

I got out of the habit of wearing gloves about 20 years ago. If its cold enough I'll throw on a pair of jersey gloves but that's it. Wear through the fingers in about an hour, through the palms in a few more. I just don't have the grip to wrestle with something while wearing mits.

When I cut wood most of the time it is necessary to have something with insulation. Mules with pile lining are the best. Most with thinsulate are junk as my fingers freeze in them. I did pick up one pair with thinsulate that I'll try this winter but they also have a soft lining so might be okay. Probably just return to the mules though and they last 1-2 winters.

burntime said:
I was thinking thats what you lost...of course I had to look! Glad you kept all your apendages!

Me, too! I was thinking, "Poor guy. I wonder if that's what he lost or that's what he has left."

Keep cutting and stacking, Zap. Just keep those digits attached. ;-)

I can't stand to wear gloves. I drop twice as much wood with gloves on. I have a special pair of tweezers with needle-like points that I use to remove the splinters and rely on old fashioned callouses to protect from abrasion. Amazing that a pair of gloves can get trashed in an hour but my hands can hold up all day. Guess my leather's tougher than cowhide.

Battenkiller said:
burntime said:

Me, too! I was thinking, "Poor guy. I wonder if that's what he lost or that's what he has left."

Keep cutting and stacking, Zap. Just keep those digits attached. ;-)

I can't stand to wear gloves. I drop twice as much wood with gloves on. I have a special pair of tweezers with needle-like points that I use to remove the splinters and rely on old fashioned callouses to protect from abrasion. Amazing that a pair of gloves can get trashed in an hour but my hands can hold up all day. Guess my leather's tougher than cowhide.

Took a splinter under the finger nail, time for the duct tape.

zap

burntime said:

I thought he was talking about a really bad Dr. visit!

Matt

That would've cost him an arm and a leg, not just a couple fingers.

zapny said:
Took a splinter under the finger nail, time for the duct tape.
I get that even if there are no holes with gauntlet style gloves. I get nitrile gloves with elasticized wrist now. They outlast leather too.

Jeez, zap, you had me worried there for a minute. I was trying to figure out why you would be grabbing the running saw chain. :ahhh:
Have a few pair in the shed that look like that. Wife found some camo duct tape at the store, maybe I should use that.
I've got a pair of leather gloves that have lasted longer than any others, but the wood wins out every time. They're double thick on the palm and fingers. The problem is that the damn stitching goes away before the leather does.
I hate walking around for days trying to get all the splinters out, so I keep wearing the gloves.

HehHeh . . . like everyone else I was thinking "Oh no, Zap has had an accident."

Like BTuser, Ikessky and Battenkiller I now rarely use gloves myself . . . only exception being in the wintertime . . . I got tired of wearing out gloves, looking for gloves and find that after awhile your hands toughen up to the point where it's not a big deal . . . occasionally I get a splinter (got one under a nail right now that I can't get out) . . . but the splinters eventually come out . . . some sooner and some later.

Status
Not open for further replies.