Two year wood is great,but

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

budman

Minister of Fire
Nov 13, 2006
Valley Cottage,NY
I started off this year with 3 cords of ash,red oak,black locust and cherry seasoned
for two years and this stuff burns nice and hot and clean.Now for the not so good is
that it had been loaded with powder post beetles and what a mess it is to clean
each piece off before i bring into the house.I still have another cord of this before
i am into my one year stuff.Can't wait so i can just bring it in and not have to clean it
off.

We use those transparent plastic floor runners under our inside wood rack and they make recovering the dirt real easy. Most burners would gladly endure that minor problem for prime seasoned wood.

savageactor7 said:
We use those transparent plastic floor runners under our inside wood rack and they make recovering the dirt real easy. Most burners would gladly endure that minor problem for prime seasoned wood.
All my wood is on 4x4 p/t wood and then on 2x4 p/t racks,it's not the dirt it's
the saw dust from the beetles.

That dust from the beetles is a never ending problem. I simply take two pieces and knock them together before loading them into the cart to bring to the house. That gets most of it off unless it is wet.

My wife is a little more picky than I am. Though I try to knock off all the dust, dirt and loose bark from the wood before bringing into the house, she sometimes has a little whisk broom that she brushes on the wood to get some of it off. It's just one of those little problems we must endure and after a while you'll think little of it and just do the best you can without making a mess.

Other than the dusty mess, the beetles are nothing to worry yourself about.

Status
Not open for further replies.