Tyvek as Tarp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a free roll of it hanging around, so I decided to try it on my wood pile. Hope it works better than nothing...can't see why it wouldn't.

The only issue I'd see with that is Tyvek rips and tears really easily. Either way can't hurt. Just probalby won't last very long. But maybe it will work out great for you.

Maybe staple it to pallets and set on top for a roof? Unless its firmly attached to something with battens every foot or so, it gets trashed quick in the wind.

I've considered using it in the past but still have not tried it. Thinking about the wind is what stopped me. I'll be interested in knowing how others turn out using it.

Mine survived 100kmh winds the other day and survived just fine. I rolled it up tight around the edges and stapled it right to the wood every foot or so.

I'm thinking the writing all over it wouldn't be so great close to the house.
I called HD and they said they had a 9'x150' roll for $153.
At 11 cents a sq foot, a little more expensive than a medium duty poly tarp and less than a heavy duty one.
Of course it breathes, but apparently is not supposed to be left exposed to sun more than 4 months.

Call around to some rubber roofers and you can probably get some rubber scraps for cheap. works great for covering the top of stacks.

Tyvek breathes (or is vapor permeable) but so does your skin. You want your wood to be blasted by the wind and sun as much as possible, and if you can keep the rain off that's nice too.

The example they use in construction is that a piece of drywall will "breathe" one pint of water over the course of a winter while a 1" square hole will leak something like 30 pints in the air, the moral of the story, air movement is most powerful. The permeability of a roof is irrelevant if the sides are open.

[quote author="velvetfoot" date="1304311573"]Kodiak, do you have the entire stack covered? Do you find that it breathes?[/quote

I have about the top third covered...I still think that the wind also helps. I checked under it the other day and couldn't see any condensation...so It seems to breathe ok.

Hehheh . . . if you use the Tyvek on the wood pile what will you use for the house siding . . . at least that's what folks up this way would wonder. ;) :)

Maybe NY won't tax me on my woodpile if it's only covered with Tyvek.
(I'm sure they're thinking about it.)

I’m sure Tyvek could be used as a temporary cover tarp, but I can’t see purchasing any material for that sort of application. Not when most building supply yards are throwing away perfectly useable lumber tarps.
That’s what I use for most application where I need to cover or protect something for the rain and snow or whatever.
As a stucco contractor I have found used lumber tarps invaluable, for covering cement material and sand, and for drop sheets to cover ground areas I want to protect like sidewalks, paving stones, flower beds, etc...
I have found them to weather and last better than many purchased tarps, and if you are worried about looks (lettering), all the lumber tarps I have used have the lettering on one side and the reverse side is a plain color, usually a black, or a light brown color, which is less noticible than the common blue or orange colored tarps they often sell at the stores. And of course the best part is lumber tarps are free, so you don’t fret about cutting them down to the exact size you need.
The other best part is that by recycling used lumber tarps you are helping the environment since they normally just get thrown in the garbage at the lumber yards and building supply stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.