Ultimate water heater?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2009
canada
Trying to remember where I found a gas water heater with an indirect coil in the BOTTOM of the unit. I have found ones with a space heating coil near the top of the tank, but not the bottom to be heated by a wood boiler. Can't remember if it was direct-vent either but that would be nice. It was some niche German company I believe and deadly expensive. Not sure why a unit like this isn't more widely available. Would be a boon for the solar crowd. There are solar/electric versions which makes no sense - if you are using solar, chances are electricity is at a premium/unavailable.

There are some other brands hitting the market, less expensive options. They are glass lined steel tanks with a conventional gas burner and a power vent on top. Schuco has one, Heliodyne does and a few others. I believe they are all US built with private labels on then.

We have been data logging one for about 6 months. The burner is at the bottom but the control sensor is mid tank. The concept it to heat just the upper portion of the tank leaving the bottom 1/3 cool for the solar coil to warm. It does tend to heat more of the tank than we expected so it does limit the solar fraction. A bit of a compromise tank, like an SUV :)

It is intended for customers that do not have room for a dual tank solar DHW and lets them use gas or LP instead of an electrical element at the top which is typical of most solar tanks.

I have an HTP Solar Phoenix tank which has solar coil in the bottom and a condensing burner and HX inside and the burner and control is mid way up the tank. It modulates and condenses and if very fuel efficient. It's a stainless steel tank and fairly $$.

hr

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-15 at 8.13.22 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-15 at 8.13.22 PM.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 395
Status
Not open for further replies.