Ultragrate Extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjdesch

Hearth Supporter
Jul 17, 2008
Eastern Long Island, NY
Does anyone here know is somebody makes an extension rise for a whitfield profile ultragrate burnpot? On low heat settings pellets that either bounce out or miss the pot altogether collect on the surrounding ash floor. They collect enough such that if you turn the heat up to medium after its been on low for a while, a secondary fire will start on the burn chamber floor surrounding the ultragrate. This can't be good for the stove. My thinking is that all the ultragrate needs is a little more rise (maybe a 1/2", particularly on the sides) to help retain the pellets in the grate. I have seen similar "collars" being offered here for other makes of stoves.

Anyone?

when I say secondary fire I mean a lazy flame secondary fire covering over 1/2 of the ash floor that licks the door rope seal. This may or may not harm the stove, but it sure is a waste of pellets, as I coannot image they are being burned very efficiently outside of the burnpot.

Status
Not open for further replies.