Underground Storage tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
My uncle and I are on the wood boiler train. He purchased a Harman wood/coal boiler and I'm still shopping around. I'm more internet savy so I thought I'd ask around. He's in the midst of plumbing his as a suppliment to an oil boiler. I had mentioned the benefits of adding storage and how this can be achieved with a propane tank. Luckily, he has a friend in the propane business so we can get our hands on 1 or 2. He came up with the idea of burrying a tank under a patio slab outside. His method of constructing would be to encapsulate the tank in thick poly sheathing, sprayfoam the tank and surround with EPS or ISO insulation. I've yet to come across a thread for underground storage so I don't know if its a good idea or not.

Saw one on here where someone used a new septic tank. Insulated and water proofed it. Looked like a great idea.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/underground-storage.47486/

Here is some reading for you.

I don't like the idea one bit, but thats just me. 24/7 heat loss to the ground,not so accessible fittings, settling and shifting potential,etc. The benefits don't seem to out way the risks.
If you do go this rout the ONLY insulation to consider IMHO, would be a meticulous application of at least 6"-8" of 2 lb closed cell urethane spray foam. Yup, the expensive stuff.
Poly ISO is not suitable for exterior below grade applications, it will become water logged.

I think I'd sooner roll without storage than attempt this. Which leads to this question: what kind of supply water temps does your heat distributions system require?

Hope this helps in some way,
Noah

This thread recurs about once a year.
Floydian is absolutely correct that the foam will waterlog. It is subject to the surrounding soils as to how much.
A more significant issue is access for service and corrosion.
Put up a small building if you do not have the space in the house.
You have to plan for servicing something, sometime!

Status
Not open for further replies.