united states wood stove model 5660 and multi fuel 6041hf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meatis20b

Aug 28, 2011
Wallkill, ny
Looking to find out if anybody ahd any info on either of these stoves. I was looking at the 5510 model and see that alot of people have problems with the igniters and control boards. Just wanted to see if these models had the same kind of problems or were more reliable. I dont mind spending a few extra dollars for a little less headache.

My guess is that the company uses a lot of the same parts in their (just as other companies do). If you check the company website for ignitors, see if the same part number comes up for both units.

IMO, I'd go with the multi-fuel unit...it will burn most any quality pellet easier than others.

BTW, any reason for just looking at a USSC stove? There are MANY other brands around.

For the price the Englander line is a Great stove. That can be had pretty cheap on several sites. Check out AMFM stoves on-line or Overstockstoves also. Both sell discounted Englander stoves.

US Stove used to be one of the bigger competitors on the market. But like Breckwell, they seem to be on a downward slope. IMO. Buy what you want and most of all, what you can afford. But a re-built Englander or a used Harman, Quadrafire, Lopi, St.Criox, Enviro, Enerzone, Heatilator, Avalon, Etc. Would be the direction I would go.

I am sure others would agree. The used market is great place to find a great deal. With the purchase of a used unit, you may also get the Hearth Pad, Pellet vent pipe, and/or Pellets.
Also you may find a used US model priced at hlf the cost and it come with accesories.

Just my 2 cents.

I was only looking at the USSC stove because I didnt have to much money to play with and I wanted to get my foot in the door. I realize that they arent that good compared to alot of companies but It is all I can afford at this moment. Any suggestions?

meatis20b said:
I was only looking at the USSC stove because I didnt have to much money to play with and I wanted to get my foot in the door. I realize that they arent that good compared to alot of companies but It is all I can afford at this moment. Any suggestions?

An Englander (factory refurb). I have the multi-fuel model that was fact. refurbed and am very happy w/ it. Comes with full factory warranty, and free shipping to a nearby loading dock, or to your doorstep for $50 more. Very good company to work with, plus the Senior Tech for Englander is a regular on the forum.

www.amfmenergy.com/55trpep--epa-certified-pellet-stove--2000552000.html

www.amfmenergy.com/49trcpm--multifuel-stove--2200492200.html

www.amfmenergy.com/55trpah--epa-certified-pellet-stove--2000552000.html

Thanks for the info and the links. You ever burn the cherry pits or corn? if so how do they burn compared to the wood pellets along with the price and where do you find the different pellets locally?

Depending on your set-up and the location of the stove.. The venting and the Hearth pad can add up to over $1,000. Not trying to scare you away. But spending $1,000 on a Englander, is money better spent.

Is this stove going upstairs or downstairs? Do you have a Hearth already? Or some other Non-Combustible surface to set the stove on? If its going in the Basement you will need more venting than the average install.

Here are some links.. Lots of places have "Free Shipping". Read the fine print, but yes it can be free to ship 400 lbs for free. You dont have to "Settle" because of your budget. There are many options out there. Good luck.

http://www.overstockstoves.com/ The 55-TRP10 is a Englander 25-PDV. Many on here have one. I have a 25-PDV as does my Father. Great stove its the 55-TRP22 on this page.

http://www.amfmenergy.com/pellet-stoves.html Both of these sites have the same pricing... But gives you an idea about price.. Englander has "The Best" customer service and there Head Tech Mike Holton is a Forum Member.. Also gives Englander another notch in my belt.

If you dont mind me asking? How much are the US Stove's that you are looking at? Have to be about a Grand???

Here is a Pic of my Dads after painting, before install. I got this on trade for an OLD Timberline Woodstove. I got the Woodstove for free. The guy delivered the stove when he picked up the woodstove. I didnt even leave the house. So a Free 25-PDV!! Was in awesome shape.

Thats why I am telling you to look around. Check Craiglist. I have got 3 Stoves off of there for a Steal (My 25-PDV for $300 and it came with venting and 21 bags of pellets, 25-PDV I gave to my Dad/Got it for Free basically, and my Fahrenheit Endurance $2,000 included all venting, 20' of duct work, and 7 bags of pellets)

Attachments

• Dads 25-Pdv (Painted).jpg
    Dads 25-Pdv (Painted).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 744
meatis20b said:
Thanks for the info and the links. You ever burn the cherry pits or corn? if so how do they burn compared to the wood pellets along with the price and where do you find the different pellets locally?

I have never burned any cherry pits (hard to find around here), but have burned corn, and it ran w/ no problems at all....the multi-fuel has a pot stirrer to break-up the corn "clinker".

Burning a mixture of about 70% pellets and 30% corn worked very well too. I have also burned grass pellets, and coffee ground pellets w/o any real issues (besides a LOT of ash).

I see that DexterDay mentioned the older design 25-PDV, which is a good stove, but IMO, stick with the newer designs that I put the links in for....they are single auger, top feed designs.

If $$ is REALLY tight, then these refurbed older designs will work fine, but need cleaning of the burn pot/firebox often (no ash pans), and 1 auger runs constantly.

www.amfmenergy.com/55trp10--epa-certified-pellet-stove--1555101501.html

www.amfmenergy.com/55trp22--epa-certified-pellet-stove--2255222200.html

I am going to install it in my basement on the concrete floor. I was going to tie the exhaust into the 6" chimney pipe that I have for my wood stove that I am going to remove ANd yes the one ussc stove is $999 but the multi fuel is I think $1599 . I looked at both at TSC store.

meatis20b said:
I am going to install it in my basement on the concrete floor. I was going to tie the exhaust into the 6" chimney pipe that I have for my wood stove that I am going to remove ANd yes the one ussc stove is $999 but the multi fuel is I think $1599 . I looked at both at TSC store.

Is the basement finished, or bare walls & floors? Are you just heating the basement, or trying to heat upstairs too? This type of info needs to be included in your initial posting.

Pellet stoves do not put out the raw heat like a wood stove, and bare walls/floors will just soak-up the pellet heat. Basement installs are iffy, at best.

no the basements not finished. My house is only 1100 sqft. I have registers in the floors. I wanted to use the pellet stove as a main source of heat and use the oil as needed. I appreciate all the info you guys have given me. I have talked to a few people and no one has informed like you guys have. Since the pellet stove might not be the best option can you guys recommend and wood stoves?

meatis20b said:
...Since the pellet stove might not be the best option can you guys recommend and wood stoves?

Probably best for you to ask that question in the other forum, The Hearth Room.

I have only been using pellet stoves for a few years now so this is just my opinion... If you are only heating 1100 square ft then you can purchase a pellet stove that will easily heat that space. Is there not somewhere upstairs where you could install it? doesnt require much area and is easily vented outside. One of my stoves is and older model, 2001 and it puts out heat like crazy. I would not part with it, it is a heat monger. I also just bought the ussc stove from trac supply that is prob the same one you are looking at, the 5500m. I have only had it installed for a few days but I did my homework before purchasing and read every review I could find. Anyway, I took the plunge and bought it and it produces tons of heat and would IMO probably easily heat your home if it was on main floor. My house is very old and has virtually no insulation at this point (hoping to change that next season) and last season I heated the entire downstairs with pellet stoves only. Both of my stoves are located on the main floor. Mostly only one stove running unless it was very cold. This season I am wanting to heat half or more of the upstairs with the pellet stoves which is why I purchased the 5500m. I disconnected my lopi which was a great stove but the heat output was not enough for my needs. It is up for sale and if I dont get what I want for it, I may install it upstairs. Heating with pellest is cheap and easy and I have always liked a fire. No splitting wood, stacking ect., just dump in a bag of pellets. Does require weekly maintenance to operate smoothly tho. hope this helps.

Depending on your set-up and the location of the stove.. The venting and the Hearth pad can add up to over $1,000. Not trying to scare you away. But spending $1,000 on a Englander, is money better spent.

Is this stove going upstairs or downstairs? Do you have a Hearth already? Or some other Non-Combustible surface to set the stove on? If its going in the Basement you will need more venting than the average install.

Here are some links.. Lots of places have "Free Shipping". Read the fine print, but yes it can be free to ship 400 lbs for free. You dont have to "Settle" because of your budget. There are many options out there. Good luck.

http://www.overstockstoves.com/ The 55-TRP10 is a Englander 25-PDV. Many on here have one. I have a 25-PDV as does my Father. Great stove its the 55-TRP22 on this page.

http://www.amfmenergy.com/pellet-stoves.html Both of these sites have the same pricing... But gives you an idea about price.. Englander has "The Best" customer service and there Head Tech Mike Holton is a Forum Member.. Also gives Englander another notch in my belt.

If you dont mind me asking? How much are the US Stove's that you are looking at? Have to be about a Grand???

Here is a Pic of my Dads after painting, before install. I got this on trade for an OLD Timberline Woodstove. I got the Woodstove for free. The guy delivered the stove when he picked up the woodstove. I didnt even leave the house. So a Free 25-PDV!! Was in awesome shape.

Thats why I am telling you to look around. Check Craiglist. I have got 3 Stoves off of there for a Steal (My 25-PDV for $300 and it came with venting and 21 bags of pellets, 25-PDV I gave to my Dad/Got it for Free basically, and my Fahrenheit Endurance $2,000 included all venting, 20' of duct work, and 7 bags of pellets)

by the picture thats a 2001 model PDV, does it have original baffle ? or the current one, by the way the side access panel (combustion blower access) is upside down. important tip, if the board is original make sure the mode is set to "d" running higher mode settings with that board is not a good idea

by the picture thats a 2001 model PDV, does it have original baffle ? or the current one, by the way the side access panel (combustion blower access) is upside down. important tip, if the board is original make sure the mode is set to "d" running higher mode settings with that board is not a good idea

Stove is long gone. Dad used it last year and now has the CPM I bought from you (AMFMENERGY) installed in his house.

The PDV was an 01 and served him well. The CPM has saved him more LP and keeps the house warmer (better convection for some reason?)

Status
Not open for further replies.