Unknown Liquid dripping from bottom of stove????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbuff

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2007
Central NJ
I hav an unknown liquid dripping from my stove when I fire it up?? It has the consistency of water, and the smell of burnt wood?? Anyone know what the heck this stuff is??

Tom(NJ)

Thanks, as you know I am new to this, and want to know as much as possible. I hope all my questions are bothersome.

Tom(NJ)

It's not blood, is it? :ahhh: Rick

cmonSTART said:
Ah good. I hear those cats are the key to clean burns.

But it's a byotch getting the door closed on them! :coolsmile:

Chris

Jimbob said:
tbuff said:
Thanks, as you know I am new to this, and want to know as much as possible. I hope all my questions are bothersome. Tom(NJ)
:lol:

We hope you are bothersome as well... ;-)

Chris

tbuff said:
I hav an unknown liquid dripping from my stove when I fire it up?? It has the consistency of water, and the smell of burnt wood?? Anyone know what the heck this stuff is??

Tom(NJ)

Let me guess... it is a small puddle on the left hand side?

Check under the stove and see if you can find a wet nut just above the puddle on the floor. If this is the case you are dripping creosote along a bar on the inside of the stove and it is leaking through the threads holding the nut under the stove.

This caused a surface crack on my Homestead and I was not a happy camper. The moisture traveled along the bottom cast iron and got the stone wet. The drips first happened during my break-in fires and I thought it was normal. It would happen intermittently and I didn't worry about it until the surface crack.

To Fix: Stuff ash into the side slots around the metal support rods. Also try not to smolder too much.

Let me know if my guess is right. It could also happen on the right hand so stuff ash there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.