Unknown tree type

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Here's a couple pics of a tree at my sis-in-laws, and I have no idea what it is. Thought it might be some kind of apple due to the flowers this spring, except the leaves seem wrong.
Started cutting up a downed branch and ran into something, sending sparks flying. Chain on HER saw isn't totally trashed.....might be able to touch it up.
I can get pics of the branches I did cut, but don't have 'em right now.
Any ideas what this is? Bueller.....anyone? :coolsmile:

Attachments

• 060101_1707[00].jpg
    060101_1707[00].jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 477
  • 060101_1708[00].jpg
    060101_1708[00].jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 465
  • 060101_1708[01].jpg
    060101_1708[01].jpg
    65 KB · Views: 485
Crab apple

That is Serviceberry aka June Berry - Amelanchier arborea. Notice the very fine serrations (teeth) on the leaves. The fruit turn into berries like blueberries, but it can be hard to find any ripe blue ones. Generally on the tree you see lots of reddish ones, but they get eaten before they turn the full blue color they should be when fully ripe. The tree should have had white flowers quite early in spring before the apples and crabapples bloomed.

Wood Duck said:
That is Serviceberry aka June Berry - Amelanchier arborea. Notice the very fine serrations (teeth) on the leaves. The fruit turn into berries like blueberries, but it can be hard to find any ripe blue ones. Generally on the tree you see lots of reddish ones, but they get eaten before they turn the full blue color they should be when fully ripe. The tree should have had white flowers quite early in spring before the apples and crabapples bloomed.

Any pic's showing the difference? Never even heard of a June berry.

BeGreen said:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/trees-new/amelanchier_arborea.html

lol Still looks like a crab to me...Thats a tough I'D!

Me . . . I'm curious about the purple gloves. . . . ;)

firefighterjake said:

I was thinking the same thing but was going to let it go :)

Scott

firefighterjake said:

HEHE, I shoulda' known you'd be the one to ask, Jake.
My sis-in-law in a bit of germ-a-phobe. She works in a lab and wears the darn things when doing yard work, painting a room......
I took the pic. I thought she was going to put on a hazmat suit to pull some drywall. :lol:
Scott, no need to be shy around here.

PapaDave said:
firefighterjake said:

My sis-in-law in a bit of germ-a-phobe. She works in a lab and wears the darn things when doing yard work, painting a room......
I took the pic. I thought she was going to put on a hazmat suit to pull some drywall. :lol:

And here I thought you were just being all scientific-like . . . had pictures of you running around in a white lab coat, goggles and the purple gloves attempting to identify and classify the various tree species. ;) :)

Some might consider me a bit studious, but that's too much, even for me.
I did have a shop apron a while back, but can't find it. Might help if I actually looked for it. Would come in handy for glue-ups and such.

PapaDave said:
firefighterjake said:

Dang.

I guess I've worked in a hospital too long; I didn't really notice the gloves. Sort of like us here seeing a fire in a stove, we expect it.

(Note to self...improve observational skills. Weird killer in the shrubs shadow may actually be a weird killer in the shrubs.)

Cascade Failure said:
PapaDave said:
firefighterjake said:

Dang.

I guess I've worked in a hospital too long; I didn't really notice the gloves. Sort of like us here seeing a fire in a stove, we expect it.

(Note to self...improve observational skills. Weird killer in the shrubs shadow may actually be a weird killer in the shrubs.)

HehHeh . . . that's exactly why I spotted the gloves . . . we use similar ones on the ambulances.

Status
Not open for further replies.