Unlimited supply of pine: worth trying to get rid of via a Craigslist freebie?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Gang,

I've been clearing a section of my property that was over-planted with eastern white pine. Dang things are 50-80 feet tall, straight as an arrow and only have a little tuft of branches at the top. I cut several down this weekend and plan on cutting down a bunch more. Do you think it is worth trying to get rid of the mountain of rounds for free on Craigslist? I don't want to deal with people asking me stupid questions (I'm building a chicken coop, and wanted to use the pine as chairs for the chickens. Will you cut the wood into chair shapes and deliver it for free?)

Bottom line, would anyone really want pine rounds?

richg said:
Gang,

For the right price somebody will want just about anything. Somebody might be interested in small diameter poles too, you never know. They might even have saw log value.

I'll take those chicken chairs, when you get them cut and painted. Seat cushions would be a plus...

Do you have any that are shaped like a plastic milk crate? I already have enough padding,so very little extra cushion is needed,thanks.

I'll take all of em.

richg said:
Gang,

I've been clearing a section of my property that was over-planted with eastern white pine. Dang things are 50-80 feet tall, straight as an arrow and only have a little tuft of branches at the top. I cut several down this weekend and plan on cutting down a bunch more. Do you think it is worth trying to get rid of the mountain of rounds for free on Craigslist? I don't want to deal with people asking me stupid questions (I'm building a chicken coop, and wanted to use the pine as chairs for the chickens. Will you cut the wood into chair shapes and deliver it for free?)

Sounds like some nice milling material, might get some money out of them.

zap

If you really are going to get a BK, I'd keep it.

richg said:
Gang,

Bring in big saw.
Bigsaw.jpg

Run pine through chipper.
Daveschipper.jpg

Still more to do.
Day2c.jpg

Merry Christmas. And yes, we will get paid for those trees. Not much, but will be paid.

Denny, did you get a new toy? LOL

KC

Hey KC, I'd thought about buying one of those operations a while back. The guy who owns this is an old friend. I asked him when he would wise up and retire. He thinks if he retires he'll die...

It's good fire wood. Will last a long time if CSS off the ground.
If you have too much.
Season some for a year & sell some next as good dry wood.
Sometimes easier to sell for $30 per cord than try to give it away :)
Giving it away free is always an option though.

I think somebody will want it. If its free I want it.

I'll burn it. In a gasser it does not really matter. If I am working around the farm I can fill it every couple of hours.

Northwest NJ. Hear dot com members get first dibbs before it goes to Craigslist.

I tried to get rid of poplar that way. Very difficult to get rid of softwood.

I'm thinking it could be tough . . . most folks will think it cannot be burned in a woodstove and only used for camp wood . . . how much wood are you talking? If I were me and taking down just a few pines I would keep the wood and use it for kindling and shoulder season fires . . . heck, burn it during the weekend days when I'm home.

Then again, if you're talking about a lot . . . it might be worth getting someone to come in and haul it away for pulp or even to cut into logs . . . maybe even hire an on-site sawmill operator.

Theres a guy in south Jersey trying to get rid of a bunch pine rounds for what seems like a year, funny how his free add has changed on cl during that time and by the end he was stating"for outdoor use only, causes chimney fires blah blah blah" so judging by the morph in his adds you are gonna get a lot of people calling and emailing you to get you edumacated about the dangers of pine :p

me? I love it, if you were closer I would grab some.

I'd come get it it if I needed it and if I was close. Doesn't cost anything to place the ad and it's easy to just post a "no" back to any stupid questions you get. I've actually only had good experiences with CL.

:lol:
DanCorcoran said:
I'll take those chicken chairs, when you get them cut and painted. Seat cushions would be a plus...
:lol: :p ;-P :) :cheese:

Wish you were closer, I'd be all over it. We got a bunch from a tree guy earlier this season on CL, he had it advertised as "camp wood" because it was pine.

Are they already cut up into rounds? I would think your target audience would be larger if they were left at log length. There are other forums with milling hobbyists (ie. alaskan mills) that may be interested in pine logs for their projects. If someone wants the wood for other uses, they can cut them up themselves. Just a thought. There's no harm in putting it up, when I was cleaning out my Dad's house, I was amazed at what people showed up to take.

You could always rent a chipper and make yourself (and neighbors to be nice) a little mulch.

It's hard to say when one doesn't have a feel for the exact area you live in and the needs of the people in the area. In any event, good luck.

I'd kill to have that. I always pick up any free stuff like that. It's advertised all the time on craigslist, but usually it's 80+ miles south of me in the major country land where it's too far to be worth it.
Unless I had a bigger truck... :)
I always tell them I'll take it if they deliver it! No takers yet on it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.