Unsure about pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subpared

Jul 2, 2011
Northern BC
We live in a 2700' sq bungalow, is it possible to have a pellet stove in the basement and one on the main floor?
Kind of a dumb question as I dont know the first thing regarding pellet stoves.

Yes, it's possible. There are several folks running more than one pellet stove here. As long as they are installed and vented correctly there isn't an issue running two stoves. But it means twice the work filling the stove daily. You might want to also look at a pellet furnace if filling just one appliance is appealing.

My wife and I bought this house in Feb, it was built in 88 and has its original gas furnace which needs a new control and thermocoupler, it only runs on constant fan and not auto. If I run it on auto the burners will start up on demand but the blower wont blow, also every 3 or 4 days the pilot goes out which in the winter is useless.
We looked at getting a zero clearance wood burning unit that could be ducted in to our existing duct system to heat the house and were quoted about $ 8500 for an RSF Opel 2 with all the bells and whistles installed.
The problem we have is my wife usually is on the main floor to watch her shows cook, etc. I go in the basement where I have a shop and my Big Screen TV for sports.
We would get a wood stove in the basement that could heat the house but then it would get to warm for me being down there as well as when I am working out of town my wife would have to load it ( she is partially disabled) so I dont think that will work.
That is why we looked at the RSF Opel but at that price seems a lot.
We were quoted $5000 for a 100000 BTU gas furnace @ 95% plus install, but from past experience we have found the new furnaces noisy.

Then the idea of having a pellet stove on each level seems interesting, also my wife has bad asthma which a wood stove would not be great, I realize pellet stoves are better in that regard.

Can I run both pellet stoves at the same time?

Thanks,

You can run both stoves at the same time. I have one stove in the basement and one on the main floor. Depending on where you would like to vent the stoves, you may need to install the outside air kit to bring in fresh air to the combustion chamber. This will cut down the clearances to windows and doors and will eliminate some of the negative pressure in the home. For two pellet stoves to be installed in your home will most likely cost you less than $8500. The gas furnace you were looking at....is that for natural gas or propane. If its propane then it is going to cost you ALOT to heat. I switched from propane to pellets and my heating bill was cut in half to say the least.

Webmaster said:
It sure is, but whether or why you want that might be a question.

You can get pellet furnaces where one could heat the entire house - through ducts. It's always easier to service one stove as opposed to two.

BeGreen said:
Yes, it's possible. There are several folks running more than one pellet stove here. As long as they are installed and vented correctly there isn't an issue running two stoves. But it means twice the work filling the stove daily. You might want to also look at a pellet furnace if filling just one appliance is appealing.

Furnace would be a good way to go... Or 2 stoves is nice.. BUT, Double the work... They still require a lot of maintanence and work, to keep them running in Good Order... Either way, it will be cheaper than $8,000.....

Thanks CJ,

That furnace quote was for Nat Gas, getting a wood stove, zero clearance, pellet , furnace is like buying a camper, trailer,5th wheel you always have to sacrifice something it seems.

subpared said:
My wife and I bought this house in Feb, it was built in 88 and has its original gas furnace which needs a new control and thermocoupler, it only runs on constant fan and not auto. If I run it on auto the burners will start up on demand but the blower wont blow, also every 3 or 4 days the pilot goes out which in the winter is useless.
We looked at getting a zero clearance wood burning unit that could be ducted in to our existing duct system to heat the house and were quoted about $ 8500 for an RSF Opel 2 with all the bells and whistles installed.
The problem we have is my wife usually is on the main floor to watch her shows cook, etc. I go in the basement where I have a shop and my Big Screen TV for sports.
We would get a wood stove in the basement that could heat the house but then it would get to warm for me being down there as well as when I am working out of town my wife would have to load it ( she is partially disabled) so I dont think that will work.
That is why we looked at the RSF Opel but at that price seems a lot.
We were quoted $5000 for a 100000 BTU gas furnace @ 95% plus install, but from past experience we have found the new furnaces noisy.

Then the idea of having a pellet stove on each level seems interesting, also my wife has bad asthma which a wood stove would not be great, I realize pellet stoves are better in that regard.

Can I run both pellet stoves at the same time?

Thanks,

The quote is pretty outrageous for a new 100K btu furnace. Actual cost is about 1500-2000 in the US. And that would be for a high quality unit with a dc variable blower. These systems are quite quiet.

Thanks BG,

Trust me everything here in Bring Cash BC is costly,
If I could get a furnace from the Us I would especially at that price.

Cheers,

Norm

I think for the price quoted you could put in a Yukon wood/gas furnace and either burn wood or run on natural gas propane or oil depending on your choice or straight wood only. My parents first one lasted over 20 years and only had to replace a few fire bricks a few door gaskets and a blower belt and this unit is in the work shop and they put a new one in the basement.

The pellet furnace would be the other top choice depending on if you have wood and want to mess with it and cost compared to buying pellets and storage for them.

In the house where I am now I would go pellet furnace as the drive to get the wood could be a pain. I could get the wood for free +labor but have to haul and stack and storage is an issue here.

Two individual pellet units would be awesome except for the uneven heating aspect and having to maintain two units.

Any of the three would be really comfy but the furnace options of course would be the most even heat. On the other side of the coin there is NOTHING better than having a nice toasty spot to relax and enjoy the ambiance of the fire along with the warmth after being outside all day.

I would give these folks a call. www.yukon-eagle.com They will ship the stove to you and are great to deal with. I just noticed they have units that are certified for use in Canada if that is an issue.

My parents have two of the Klondike model. I think the oil/wood version and maybe some of the nat gas/wood units will light the wood for you so all you have to do is throw the wood in and let it run on the secondary fuel until the wood is going and then shut the expensive stuff off.

subpared said:
Thanks CJ,

That furnace quote was for Nat Gas, getting a wood stove, zero clearance, pellet , furnace is like buying a camper, trailer,5th wheel you always have to sacrifice something it seems.

Hello subpared

I know what you mean. I have a 2 level split-entry home and need heat up and down.

So I got a zero clearance auto pilot ignition LP gas fireplace upstairs to handle that heat.
There is no mess, it works on power outages and also handles the kids xmass stockings very well.
The gas fireplace is on a Honeywell thermostat for constant temperature.

Then we got the Avalon Astoria 115lb hopper pellet stove for the basement and with some ducting,
it actually heats the entire 2,000 sq ft house.
We keep all 3 tons of the wood pellets in the basement near to the stove for easy filling!

Then for DHW and backup heating system, we got a brand new thermoshock resistive GL180M cast iron triple pass, cold start oil boiler with the Tekmar outdoor reset and SuperStor Lifetime warrenty HW tank. It uses less than half the oil that the old one did!!
If we go away for a week in the winter, the oil boiler will automatically keep the house from freezing!

See pics below:
Our pet names are as follows:
Antie Glo = Heat N Glo SL550-TRS-D ipi LP Gas fireplace
Big Boo = Buderus G115WS Oil Boiler
Asti = Avalon Atoria -FS PS

P.S. The Pellet Stove Hearth has a 220v 900 Watt Electric KickSpace heater on a thernostat for the basement as a backup to the PS

This is the best of all worlds!!

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 055TekmarOnBuderusSC.jpg
    055TekmarOnBuderusSC.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 309
  • MediaCenter630sc.jpg
    MediaCenter630sc.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 321
Status