Unusal noise?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinn

Oct 8, 2008
NY
Well I was running my Hastings today after it being off for over a week. I notice a squeaking/squealing noise that seems to coincide with auger operation. It sounds like something needs a drop of oil. Is there an area of routine maintenance that I have overlooked? I have not been using the stove much since we have been burning so much wood so this is the first I have really noticed it. I will check it over closely once it cools down but I am just looking for ideas as to where to look.

Perhaps there is crud in the auger flight or on the end of the auger. Fines can cause squeaks etc.... It is also possible that the grease in the gear box on the motor has shifted/leaked out etc... Also bearing points might be complaining. Then it is also possible that the auger itself is in contact with the flight or its cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.