Unvented roof webinar - Why they may not work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I am subscribed to a site called Heatspring that covers sustainable energy and energy type construction. I took a couple of paid courses but some of the courses are free or sponsored. I got an invite on a seminar on why trying to insulated unvented roof spaces has the potential not to end well. I have seen and heard of many folks with Cathedral ceilings have problems. Its borderline technical on occasion but the pictures of how roofs go bad and the reasons why are great.

No charge to watch unless you need CEU credits for professional licensing. I need them for my license but great info. I will agree that once he gets to the graphs its probably time to go unless you are waiting for the quiz to get credits HeatSpring Magazine – Unvented Roofs Without Spray Foam: A New Free Course

I've never seen anyone have a successful insulated "hot" roof.

If there is 2" space from soffit to ridge with a ridge vent, then its a vented roof which is the gold standard. This seminar covers roofs that are difficult to vent well like cathedral roofs or roofs with skylights and lots of gables.

The science behind how to build (and not build) a cathedral ceiling has been well understood for some time. Below are two links on the subject. Unfortunately, they can't be read in their entirety unless you pay for the GBA "Prime" level; they do have a trial period, though. Basically, you need a vented space above the insulation, closed cell foam of adequate R value right against the underside of the sheathing, or a rigid foam layer above the sheathing so as to keep the underside of the sheathing above the dew point. Exterior roof insulation (or wall insulation) must be of sufficient R value (usually 1/3 the total) relative to total R if there is interior insulation. Air sealing becomes crucial in such assemblies, as you don't want any interior air to be flowing through to contact the sheathing.

If you watched the webinar, they agree with you. Their study is what happens if it not possible and that is the next best thing.